Power Sharing In NI collapses again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
am sure that there are collectors who retain some of the original currency for their heritage value

On that basis, the Irish could retain some Irish language dictionaries for their heritage value.

Sponsored Links
Not a sensible comparison.
But I appreciate where you are coming from:

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-language-act-explainer-3851417-Feb2018/

But this urban myth has been debunked:
http://www.thejournal.ie/arlene-fos...akers-northern-ireland-facts-3228915-Feb2017/

Notice also the first phrase of the first quote: "The DUP has always opposed an Irish language act,"
This is nonsensical when you compare an Irish Language Act to the current Welsh Language Act (1993)

I maintain that the DUP's position is untenable, especially as the other partis support the Irish Language Act.
If it were to be put to the Assembly (if it ever reconvenes) it would be passed with a handsome majority.

There is other support for the Irish language:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_of_the_Irish_language
Do some research mate
DUP have one more seat than SF, but they do not have an overall majority.
Motorbiking did not distinguish that DUP have more seats compared to any other party. He said simply that they have the most seats, and the largest share of the vote.
They do not.
does SF, have the largest share of the vote,you seem to im
Motorbiking did not distinguish that DUP have more seats compared to any other party. He said simply that they have the most seats, and the largest share of the vote.
They do not.[/QUOTE
It is a cultural/historic/heritage issue. Nothing to do with politics for most people. Only DUP have made it a political issue.

You could say the same about Welsh, Cornish, Gaelic, Celtic, Breton, Basque, Catalan, etc.

To go further, you could say the same about all the displays in museums.
In fact why do we spend money on culture at all.
It is a cultural/historic/heritage issue. Nothing to do with politics for most people. Only DUP have made it a political issue.

You could say the same about Welsh, Cornish, Gaelic, Celtic, Breton, Basque, Catalan, etc.

Nothing wrong spending money on culture at all, as long as there is a demand from the people for the said culture, maybe people in England would have their cultural experience enhanced by allowing the state to force feed school children the Pakistani language and stories from the Koran all in the name of culture.

They do not.
You are obviously referring to the 2017 election,the results of that election are not indicative of the true state of affairs regarding support for the parties, in the 2016 election the DUP won 38 seats compared to SF's 28 seats, because of the cash for ash scandal a lot of Unionists didn't turn up for the 2017 assembly election however in the 2017 General election the Unionists had their biggest vote ever with 10 DUP+1 independent Unionist compared to SF's 7.
If elections were held for a new assembly the results would be more in line with the 2016 election rather than the 2017 election.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
The DUP seem to have more seats and the largest share of vote,
I think we are talking at cross purposes. You are, now, referring to UK Parliament and I was referring to the NI Assembly. You original statement did not mention to which legislative body you were referring, or to which other section of the Assembly that you were referring.
Notice you said simply: "The DUP seem to have more seats and the largest share of vote."
They do not, in the NI Assembly, and in comparison to the other parties.
In the last 10 years their share of the vote has been steadily declining.
It is called a minority government.
List of members of the 6th Northern Ireland Assembly
upload_2018-2-17_9-7-4.png
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_6th_Northern_Ireland_Assembly

My original counter to your claim specified the NI Assembly:
"Oh no they don't!" ;)
DUP have one more member in the Assembly than SF. If the Act was put before the Assembly, it would be endorsed easily and handsomely.

Last edited:
Do some research mate
If that is the sum total of your argument, there is little point in responding to you.

Plus, you are making some wild and invalid claims without any substantiation whatsoever:
In the link you have posted Gerry Adams is quoted as saying that there can be no return to the Stormont assembly without a STAND ALONE Irish language act,

I see no reference whatsoever in my links to Gerry Adams. Perhaps you can explain just where this reference is.

Last edited:
On that basis, the Irish could retain some Irish language dictionaries for their heritage value.
You cannot preserve a language merely by retaining some dictionaries.
If you wish to discuss the comparison of a currency with a language, please continue, but I shall not bother discussing it. It does not appear to be a sensible or worthwhile comparison.

I see no reference whatsoever in my links to Gerry Adams. Perhaps you can explain just where this reference is.
The Welsh Language Act was a stand alone act. We do not need to capitalise the letters, the phrase has little meaning other than it is not wrapped up with other legislation.

This is just a generic term for areas that speak Irish, as they also exist in RoI. It does not mean that Irish is imposed on all that live/work/visit there.
"The number of native Irish-speakers in Gaeltacht areas of the Republic of Ireland"

Rubbish! There is no mention of this anywhere. In fact:
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/10/02/news/irish-language-act-content-and-cost-1150668/
However, I recognise it costs money, as it does in Wales, but those speaking Welsh have increased by 20% since 1993.
In the island of Ireland, it is a slightly different scenario because Irish is already recognised in RoI (as well as EU).

Your biased opinion.

The DUP are alone in resisting the introduction of an Irish Language Act
https://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/10/02/news/irish-language-act-content-and-cost-1150668/

The St Andrews agreement recognised the need for the Act, and agreed the scope, which coincides with Sinn Feins demands.:
Do some research mate
does SF, have the largest share of the vote,you seem to im

Nothing wrong spending money on culture at all, as long as there is a demand from the people for the said culture, maybe people in England would have their cultural experience enhanced by allowing the state to force feed school children the Pakistani language and stories from the Koran all in the name of culture.
I think we are talking at cross purposes. You are, now, referring to UK Parliament and I was referring to the NI Assembly. You original statement did not mention to which legislative body you were referring, or to which other section of the Assembly that you were referring.
Notice you said simply: "The DUP seem to have more seats and the largest share of vote."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_6th_Northern_Ireland_Assembly

My original counter to your claim specified the NI Assembly:
You are using the figures from the 2017 assembly election results, I have already explained why they are not a reliable guide to the level of support for the DUP ,look at the results of the 2017 General election ,the DUP won 10 seats compared to SF's 7 .

The Welsh Language Act was a stand alone act. We do not need to capitalise the letters, the phrase has little meaning other than it is not wrapped up with other legislation.

This is just a generic term for areas that speak Irish, as they also exist in RoI. It does not mean that Irish is imposed on all that live/work/visit there.
"The number of native Irish-speakers in Gaeltacht areas of the Republic of Ireland"

Rubbish! There is no mention of this anywhere. In fact:
However, I recognise it costs money, as it does in Wales, but those speaking Welsh have increased by 20% since 1993.
In the island of Ireland, it is a slightly different scenario because Irish is already recognised in RoI (as well as EU).

Your biased opinion.

The DUP are alone in resisting the introduction of an Irish Language Act

You are wrong again mate,It is SF who have have turned the issue of culture into a political weapon, no one objects to the Irish language/culture being promoted were there is a demand for it but to try and force it on those who don't see it as relevant to them is wrong.
The St Andrews agreement recognised the need for the Act, and agreed the scope, which coincides with Sinn Feins demands.:
Do some research mate

You are using the figures from the 2017 assembly election results, I have already explained why they are not a reliable guide to the level of support for the DUP ,look at the results of the 2017 General election ,the DUP won 10 seats compared to SF's 7 .
If you make a sensible point I will respond. But there is no point in responding to comments like, "you're wrong", or "do some research".

On the point that you make about using the General Election results as a fair indication of DUP's Versus SF's support:
You did not explain, and still have not, why you think it is a more reliable indicator, you simply stated that it was!
I must disagree.
Why would anyone vote for a party that refuses to attend the discussions. It is a pointless and wasted vote.
So the general election results are not a fair indicator of support for the NI political parties.

If you make a sensible point I will respond. But there is no point in responding to comments like, "you're wrong", or "do some research".

On the point that you make about using the General Election results as a fair indication of DUP's Versus SF's support:
You did not explain, and still have not, why you think it is a more reliable indicator, you simply stated that it was!
I must disagree.
Why would anyone vote for a party that refuses to attend the discussions. It is a pointless and wasted vote.
So the general election results are not a fair indicator of support for the NI political parties.
The 2017 General election results for the DUP and SF are deemed more reliable because the 2017 G.E. took place after the 2017 N.I. local assembly election so therfor should be considered a more upto date indicator of the level of support for the two parties.
Anyway I have had enough, I won't be posting any further replies on this thread.

The 2017 General election results for the DUP and SF are deemed more reliable because the 2017 G.E. took place after the 2017 N.I. local assembly election so therfor should be considered a more upto date indicator of the level of support for the two parties.
That is just dismissing other influences, which you choose to dismiss.

Utter rubbish.

More lies, backtracking, squirming and gross stupidity :)

You quoted this:
Notice you said simply: "The DUP seem to have more seats and the largest share of vote

Which you said 'oh no it isnt' because you thought you were being clever, a pedant and sarcastic.

Unfortunately you didnt check your facts, or read carefully the post you tried to ridicule..

Since you think you are so clever: you say you were referring to the NI assembly, then prove how you think the DUP dont have the most seats or the largest share of the votes. And dont start bringing in the point they arent a majority government, or that their vote is reducing -those points were not in the post you criticised.

Its very simple, you said:

They do not, in the NI Assembly

Show us the numbers:
The number of seats the DUP have
The share of the vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back