Rafters for lean to shed

As seen above, this is a very shallow pitch. Almost flat. Will it really pose issues if I carried this through the entire 6m length?
If the roof deck is anything but perfectly in one plane then any roof covering will end up with ripples.

Sponsored Links
If you tell me what dimensions 1 to 5 are I can tell you the elusive No.6 ....

View attachment 352731

This assumes your two side walls are perpendicular to the house wall?
Thanks for doing this. Included some comments for clarity.

1 - external measurement is 597 but I will have a slight overhang on the left side. Can't do the same on the right. Let's call it 602cm?
2 - 218.5cm from the top of the base to the header stud
3 - 70cm measured externally
4 - same as 2
5 - 37.5cm measured externally

Also, 6 currently is the same height as 2 and 4, as seen in the earlier images.

Look forward to your response and thanks again.

Dimensions have to be to the outside faces of the stud walls not the roof deck so I'll use your 5970mm dimension.

If 4 is the same as 2 then you'll have no fall on the roof at all? 4 must be less than 2.

Dimensions have to be to the outside faces of the stud walls not the roof deck so I'll use your 5970mm dimension.

If 4 is the same as 2 then you'll have no fall on the roof at all? 4 must be less than 2.
1724068867320.png

Back to this, the side panel is now built up to the same height as the stud at the front, 218.5cm. The top of the wall plate will be higher than this (as indicated b the rafter in the above image) and that's what provides the above fall. I will then fill in the "triangle" on the side.

Please let me know if you require any additional info.

Sponsored Links
OK lets try this, what will the height difference be in mm between the roof at the back and the roof at the front?

On a related note, your drawing appears to suggest that I can crack on with putting my wall plate at my proposed level and have it dead straight? Any adjustments will happen on the header plate if I am following this.

The wall plate on the wall must be horizontal yes.
I will start to get this in as i can use this to hang tarpaulin and provide some protection from the upcoming rain. Once I have the updated measurements, I can consider how I get the necessary elevation.

Your elusive dimension is 2220mm:

View attachment 352741
That’s awesome!
How can I start on the right with the first rafter and then level the next one and one and on? Can I use plastic spacers to raise the rafters as I go? This approach will give me more control over this and if my wall/header plate are not completely level, I can make the appropriate adjustments as I go along.

I am unsure how I do this as I don’t think the spirit level is much help with the rafter arrangement.

That’s awesome!
How can I start on the right with the first rafter and then level the next one and one and on? Can I use plastic spacers to raise the rafters as I go? This approach will give me more control over this and if my wall/header plate are not completely level, I can make the appropriate adjustments as I go along.

Another way you could possibly tackle it, is by simply sighting along the timbers, to perfectly match the angle. Either using a digital angle gauge, or one person adjusting, whilst a second person sights along the timbers, so they match accurately, before marking and cutting.

Fix your wall plate timber perfectly horizontal. Fix the vertical support at the 700 wide end, then the first joist in place. That sets your initial roof angle.

Move to the rear, and temporarily install that vertical, and fix the joist to the wall plate. Now adjust that joist, until the angle of that joist, perfectly matches that of your first joist, either by sighting, or the angle gauge, then mark and cut.

The in between joists, simply follow on.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back