Re: New Colours

That was a real troweller! If you don't leaf me alone, I'll cut you all down to size. Don't hedge your bets! I don't like you any mower....

Sponsored Links
I think we should call a spade a spade, stop racking over old ground and stop this bucket kicking before more and more bull is shovelled into this conversation.

:D

Maybe with these color changes, they (whoever 'they' are??) are hoping to confuse the diy'er so they do not tamper with their own electrical installations?

voltman.gif

How many times have you been asked by someone wiring a plug 'Which colour is live?'

Thank goodness, that plugs are now fitted!

color wasn't a typo - I was just harmonising with US standards... :D

imho its a good thing they are bringing fixed wiring into line with flexibles

Sponsored Links
But not f in about with the 3 phase colors (!!)

I mean, an old neutral color now a phase color
and an old phase colour now a neutral color.......

It's a grand BOW. (Bag of W**k)

almost all diyers should not go near three phase anyway

and any sparky that assumes wiring colors to be correct in an install he didn't do has a death wish imo

i would however think that its a very bad idea to mix colors of singles in a run of conduit or trunking

plugwash said:
imho its a good thing they are bringing fixed wiring into line with flexibles

Yes, I can see the logic in this statement.

It's just a shame that this country doesn't manufacture anything anymore, cos if we did and we exported electrical goods, maybe the europeans would be adopting our colour system!

Though, I would expect we wouldn't be allowed to under european beurocracy! :evil:

I suppose it all comes down to cost at the end of the day, if manufacturers supplied leads specific to each country then the issue may not have arisen.

Electrical manufacturers were forced by legislation to supply uk specific fitted plugs (I think?) with electrical goods, could they have not supplied country specific power cables too? Obviously yes, but only if legislated I would imagine...

Oh well, silver cloud etc. with the European market there should be plenty of cheap euro standard cable flooding the market then... :D

while they are standardiseing the color they are not standardiseing cable type for fixed

for example franch regs require either use of conduit or cables with ALL cores double insulated includeing earth

plugwash said:
while they are standardiseing the color they are not standardiseing cable type for fixed

for example franch regs require either use of conduit or cables with ALL cores double insulated includeing earth
And IIRC, French regs permit all manner of colours for phase - I think anything other than blue or green/yellow is allowed.

(read with french accent)

Hmmm, I would like purple today......and perhaps a smidgeon of silver

(Aujourdhui, Je voudrais violet.....et peut-etre d'argent - un soupcon)

Blimey! A Bi-lingual spark! We must be moving up in the world - next, prices in Euros. :LOL:

Amicalement

Ian.

Non, Ian!! :LOL:

Here's a little French lesson so you can impress the next bird you meet on holiday en France..(just make sure the g/f - missus don't latch on.....)

"Amicalement bien" means kind regards, best wishes.

"Amicalement" on its own means friendly. ie "He gave me a friendly wave"

"il m'a salue amicalement"

Zut alors, c'est vachement bien, mes braves.

Paff... oh-ho-he-hoh... zank 'eaven for leetle gerlz.... (rolls eyes, sparks up Gitane... picks ups accordian...)

It's about time we changed colours, we're only 28 years behind the rest of europe. Maybe this will sort out the cowboys!!!!!!

Dingbat - that proves how daft French is.

Vache is cow Vachement is really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back