Really that much money to fit a fan?

Sponsored Links
I'm beginning to think that we've reached such a level of regulation that it is actually counterproductive. By that I mean it is becoming so expensive and complicated to comply with everything that more and more people will become tempted to go down the cowboy / brown envelope route.

Sponsored Links
I'm beginning to think that we've reached such a level of regulation that it is actually counterproductive. By that I mean it is becoming so expensive and complicated to comply with everything that more and more people will become tempted to go down the cowboy / brown envelope route.

Or do even more dangerous DIY. I think we passed the point you mentioned, some years ago.

Hurrah. About time someone tightened the ventilation regs and encouraged trades to be diligent about upholding them. Now we just need similar for every other chancer/bellend who does any work that has any measure of impact in the same document

Hurrah. About time someone tightened the ventilation regs and encouraged trades to be diligent about upholding them. Now we just need similar for every other chancer/bellend who does any work that has any measure of impact in the same document

Dangerous, and substandard work needs to be called out, but as explained above...

The more regulation you put in place, the more unnecessary the expense of complying - as with Part P, and now this fan regulation, the more inclined people will be to chance it by DIY'ing. The more money to be made from illegal work, by the Trusted Trader type of sites.

Regulation, has to be both cheap, and easy to comply with, or it will be ignored.

In a way, it's great.
I've just had a bathroom extractor fitted by a well regarded spark and the quality of installation was pathetic.
He's not a rubbish spark either, the rest of his work was top quality (a full rewire of a 1960s house).

The cost will cause many to just ignore it, though.

In a way, it's great.
I've just had a bathroom extractor fitted by a well regarded spark and the quality of installation was pathetic.
He's not a rubbish spark either, the rest of his work was top quality (a full rewire of a 1960s house).

The cost will cause many to just ignore it, though.

Pictures ?

Let's keep this in context, this isn't new - the amendment to part F was published in Dec 21, coming into force in June 22.
Works on properties started before mid 23 were exempt.

The 'guidance' regarding ventilation in Part F, is targeting new builds, or refurbishment projects.
'Minor works', would not be notifiable, but should 'comply with the requirements'.

Screenshot_20241017-102109_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

In effect, an electrician wouldn't need to worry about replacing an existing fan,
or even the installation of a new fan in an older dwelling.
The gist of Part F, is to improve ventilation in dwellings; installing a bathroom fan, when there wasn't one before, would certainly do that, without the need for any calculations.

If you did feel the need to comply further, fitting a dMEV fan with continuous running and boost, would cover most of the Part F requirements.

Apart from refurbs and new-builds, it may also be worth going through the calculations properly, and notifying, if the work involved a landlords property, that had existing damp/mould issues - just for the sake of covering an electricians back.

Spaces are running out, quick book your NICEIC domestic ventilation course NOW.

Bargain £420 includes 2x custard creams and tea

COURSE OUTLINE

Fundamental working principles of ventilation systems

Minimum legal requirements

The types of ventilation systems

- Intermittent extract fans

- Continuous Mechanical Extract Systems

- Continuous Mechanical Extract Systems with Heat Recovery

- Brief introduction into other systems such as PIV, Single Room Heat Recovery

Why ventilation is important

The varying techniques used for installation of the different systems

The pitfalls associated with poor workmanship and misuse of ventilation systems

For those excited by the thought of the course here are course contents:

Basic system design

Preparation prior to installation

Competent Person Schemes

Commissioning of a mechanical ventilation heat recovery unit

Inspection and testing

Certification and documentation of a mechanical ventilation heat recovery unit

Assessments

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back