Really that much money to fit a fan?

That needs more explanation??
Okay, I have a habit of exaggerating to enhance the story, I will admit.

It wasn't that bad.

The inline extractor was just thrown down on the insulation and the angle it was left at would've hampered the airflow which in my mind would've led to a build up of condensation in the pipe, possibly eventually leading to mould and mildew.

I've rectified that, as I feel an inline fan should at least be mounted to something solid, in such a way that the flexible ducting is not restricted and has a clear, short path to the external vent.

I'm not a spark, I just exercise common sense and I suppose that is sort of my point.
You can do a great job of the rest of the install; lovely neat core through the wall, nice clean hole in the ceiling with your new holesaw, perfectly terminated connections, but if you finish the job by just slinging the fan down on top of the insulation on its side and the hose hasn't got a clear path, it was all pointless really wasn't it?

Sponsored Links
I have never had a fan in any of the properties I lived in in the U.K. nor ever had any troublesome condensation nor any mould at all.

The properties all had windows in the bathrooms - and I knew how to open them -so perhaps the problem would be better solved at source by the architects and by education for the general public on where to buy bleach.

Just in case people don't know; I have lots of experience, from managing fifteen flats, of the way (some/most?) tenants in effect encourage condensation and mould seemingly on purpose.

Just watching the video again - from 2:40:

"He recommends that they get to grips with ventilation because next year's future home standard is set to make properties even more air-tight. The appropriate ventilation will be crucial in making them comfortable and healthy places to be."

Can you spot a flaw?

Sponsored Links
Air tights homes are fine - provided they have a properly specified MVHR system installed, working and maintained at all times.

If not, then they will become mouldy rotboxes within a week.

I've just been through the original video, from where this blew up from...

@22:20 (22 minutes, 20 seconds) in, the Envirovent technical services manager suggests that replacing a fan in Mrs Jones house would be notifiable work; you need to be a competent person to do that; and you need to do the course and register with the scheme. A little later he then talks about new builds, and sign off by BC.
The conflation of the notifiable new build work/ventilation work as part of a refurb, with the non-notifiable minor works, has caused all this fuss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back