replace ordinary light switch with one with 7-day timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Having been hunting on this subject for about 4 hours now and beginning to get a bit frazzled. There's a question here dating from 2009.

First points: the is about security, warding off potential burglars when I'm away. This is in the UK. It is an ordinary 1-gang lighting circuit switch (i.e. wall-mounted switch). It is not a high-power circuit. The current switch has no earth: there are only 2 wires coming into the back box, live and neutral. I'm not talking about timers which control floor-standing lights which plug into the mains: I have these already.

What I most definitely don't want:
1) something which fits *over* the existing switch and tries to flick the switch with a mechanical roller
2) something which is "smart" in the sense of connecting to the Wifi or any nonsense like that

What I would like, ideally:
To remove the existing ordinary switch.
To wire up the live and neutral to a new device, ideally electronic rather than mechanical. But it would have to have 2 wires to connect, not 3.

What I think I have understood:
That such an electronic device, with no earth wire, does not exist for some reason, so I may have to settle for a mechanical device.
That such mechanical devices will not be 7-day, only 24-hour.

If anyone has a recommendation or two for a specific device, based on the above, and a positive experience, I'd like to hear it.

Another possibility that occurred to me (unless I dreamt it, I'm pretty sure these used to exist): a device with a bayonet fitting so that it goes **between** the ceiling pendant bulb socket and the bulb itself, and is activated by dusk, turning off after a few hours after dusk. These no longer seem to exist at all. Except seemingly in my memory/imagination. Anyone know different? I don't even know what they might be called...

Sponsored Links
Lesson 1:

1717682775465.png

I'm not quite sure what the point of that "lesson" might be. Maybe you should re-read my question. I know the difference between neutral and earth.

Last edited:
The current switch has no earth: there are only 2 wires coming into the back box, live and neutral.

It is not a neutral, it is a switch wire. Many/most/all timers will need a neutral to power the timer. Unless they are double insulated, they will also require an earth too

Sponsored Links
Plenty to choose from, if you can do without the 7 day bit
Thanks... just to clarify, in view of Harry Bloomfield's point: does this work with just "switch wire going in and switch wire going out?" I.e. is it really just a drop-in for a standard switch? Obviously if that is the case, it must have the ability to cut off its own power supply ... so to complete the circuit again it would then have to be relying on a battery... is that how this works? I have my doubts about that from the description on the linked page... not least because it doesn't say anything about a battery.

Also I took the trouble of going to the Amazon reviews of this switch. 27% one-star reviews is pretty bad even for Amazon (and most of these 1-star reviews seem to be from credible people).

Last edited:
Thanks... just to clarify, in view of Harry Bloomfield's point: does this work with just "switch wire going in and switch wire going out?"
You don’t have a switch wire going in and a switch wire going out. You have a permanent live wire going n and a switched live going out.

@Mottie yes, that's my understanding, even if I didn't express it clearly enough. ... and... any views about how the device on the linked page in fact works?

Yes, only needs live and switched live it's a direct replacement for a normal light switch.

@Mottie ... any views about how the device on the linked page in fact works?
The device does not require a neutral but the logic in the thing needs something near neutral so the internal logic can work. This will be provided by the lamp load which will, itself, be connected to neutral.
Read the instructions and, it says

Not designed for use with fluorescent lighting and low energy lamps except with use of adaptor FLA01. Not to be used in conjunction with a lamp dimmer in 2 way switching.

It does not specify what it means by "low energy". By definition, LED lamps are low energy. So it may be a lottery, depending on what sort of lights you have.

@Taylortwocities Yes, several of the 1-star Amazon reviews are fuming about the inability to cope with low-energy bulbs... when most bulbs in UK are now low-energy. Including mine.

Also, this is "programmable" only in the sense that you designate for how many hours (between 2 and 8, seemingly) after dusk it will power the light. Sensing dusk in a house with drawn, thick, blackout curtains will not necessarily be that straightforward, and also a genuine ability to set an on-off programmed timer pattern would be far better.

Kind of infuriating, because using a small electronic device and a rechargeable battery should mean that a 7-day programming schedule (with even the ability to introduce a degree of randomness) should be very easy to accomplish, as a drop-in for a simple switch, which could have 3 settings: on, off, 7-day programme.

... but on the evidence so far there is NO SUCH THING.

Last edited:
a device with a bayonet fitting so that it goes **between** the ceiling pendant bulb socket and the bulb itself, and is activated by dusk, turning off after a few hours after dusk. These no longer seem to exist at all.
These certainly used to exist. Like you I don't know what they were called nor do I know of any these days.

However, the TLC description of the ZV210 says LED lamps up to 400W - so I didn't look any deeper. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back