replace ordinary light switch with one with 7-day timer?

Not sure why you say nothing which is 'Smart' what have you against it? I have a few Tapo (TP-link) smart switches which do not require a neutral as they get their supply from a small battery, this means they are not affected by power cuts, it will not stop them switching on/off at the set times, and they do not loose the times set. They will work as a standard switch when there is no internet or hub, but they need the internet and hub to program them, and to correct the time from time to time.

They are just as happy switching 12 volt or 230 volt they don't care. Down side around every couple of years need battery changing, which can be done without removing the switch. The cover comes off to change battery.

I use them as they will not change state in a power cut, and can switch the power to a PIR controlled lamp, and don't need a neutral. They do need a hub and router to program them. While the hub and router is active I can control by remote button, or with voice commands using my Nest Mini speakers, as well as the mobile phone. I can control from the PC but the emulator takes so long to boot, I would never bother.

All my smart stuff has been selected as it will work with google Nest Mini's so although to program I have needed around 6 apps, once programmed in the control can be set so google home app works them all, this to me is a must as it is the way Nest Mini's control them with voice commands.

Sponsored Links
First points: the is about security, warding off potential burglars when I'm away.

If this is your desire, consider socket timers, that can be used with table lamps. They are cheap and reliable. If you have an empty house and want to give the impression of occupation, you can have a landing light on from 6pm to midnight, a bedroom lamp from 10.30 to 11.30, a living room lamp on from 7pm to 11pm, a kitchen lamp to come on from 8am to 9am, and so on. You can add brief on and off times as well.

You can add a couple of "bedside" radios with timers to come on and off at various times.

Smart bulbs are sometimes easier to use
Yes, and there are "no neutral" smart switches. When linked to their own app and/or Alexa/Google Home you'll getr much more flexibility in timing schedules etc. You could set on at sunset, for instance, or a specific time. And, of course just say "Alexa, turn on light"

This sort of thing https://amzn.eu/d/a7IjwZl

These certainly used to exist. Like you I don't know what they were called nor do I know of any these days.

Internally, they are just a resistor, able to create some load on the circuit, bypassing the lamp, to enable the device's battery to be charged.

Sponsored Links
If this is your desire, consider socket timers, that can be used with table lamps.
Original post "I'm not talking about timers which control floor-standing lights which plug into the mains: I have these already".

And there's an added complication with these things: 2 of my plugged-in lights are "touch-switch" controlled. So in fact a bog standard mains timer device doesn't work: it would turn the light off ... but powering the light again doesn't in fact turn it back on. Ludicrously I'm actually contemplating acquiring an oldster lamp, with normal switch, for this sole purpose.

Last edited:
Not sure why you say nothing which is 'Smart' what have you against it?
Thanks, this is helpful. The answer to this question is:

1) There should be a simpler "shoe-in" "no-neutral" programmable timer of the kind I've described. 2) I'm violently hostile to all this Alexa carp.

But I've done a bit of searching and it seems like I may have to bite the bullet and go "smart" as the only option. First glance reveals I would also have to acquire a "hub".
I have a few Tapo (TP-link) smart switches which do not require a neutral as they get their supply from a small battery, this means they are not affected by power cuts, it will not stop them switching on/off at the set times, and they do not loose the times set. They will work as a standard switch when there is no internet or hub, but they need the internet and hub to program them, and to correct the time from time to time.
As it happens I have TP-link "powerline" devices to spread "wired" Internet (Ethernet from plug socket to comp) through my house. This works fairly well, although I get drop-outs from time to time: someone said updating the firmware might improve things.
They are just as happy switching 12 volt or 230 volt they don't care. Down side around every couple of years need battery changing, which can be done without removing the switch. The cover comes off to change battery.

I use them as they will not change state in a power cut, and can switch the power to a PIR controlled lamp, and don't need a neutral. They do need a hub and router to program them. While the hub and router is active I can control by remote button, or with voice commands using my Nest Mini speakers, as well as the mobile phone. I can control from the PC but the emulator takes so long to boot, I would never bother.
I'm incredibly uninterested in everything to do with adjusting my lighting ... except for when I go away.
All my smart stuff has been selected as it will work with google Nest Mini's so although to program I have needed around 6 apps, once programmed in the control can be set so google home app works them all, this to me is a must as it is the way Nest Mini's control them with voice commands.
I know nothing about Google Nest ... sounds like more gsnoopware.

Do you know whether just acquiring a couple of these smart TP-link 1-gang switches and a "hub" (such as this?) will be all I need to implement this solution (i.e. in a couple of rooms)? Obviously I have a router and Wifi.

Last edited:
But I've done a bit of searching and it seems like I may have to bite the bullet and go "smart" as the only option. First glance reveals I would also have to acquire a "hub".

Not necessary so. Any smart, which suggests it can work with Alexa, just needs to be able to access a wifi access point - no special hub necessary.

I use the "smart life" app.
With this I can create schedules to turn on/off my smart switches at will, if I wanted to I could also link these into Alexa and do it all by voice.

Looking from outside this does not need to be your main lights, a lamp is ample.

If you want to be able to have a light come on and off then IMHO using a smart switch is the smartest way to do it as you can create varied schedules so it is not using regular times - if your house is being cased and the light always turns on and then off at the same times - them thar burglars are wise to this. It needs to be irregular, perhaps have the stairs light come on then the bathroom for a few minutes then bathroom off, a minute later stairs light goes off.

This is possible using smart switches, timers not so easy nor is the ability to change it easy.

Get smart, go smart.

I use the "smart life" app.
With this I can create schedules to turn on/off my smart switches at will, if I wanted to I could also link these into Alexa and do it all by voice.

You can also set up smart schedules in Alexa, as well as directly command via voice. We also make heavy use of Alexa, to time cooking, remind us which colour bin needs to be put out, plus many other things.

Looking from outside this does not need to be your main lights, a lamp is ample.

That's what I do, when we go away, plug in lights continue to go on and off, as if we are home. Drive light comes on at dusk, off at 11pm.

We have 3 Alexa and various smart bulbs/switches and heating.
Works very well. Outside lights on at dusk. Heating back on the day before we travel home.

If you are anti modern tech, table lamps with mechanical dial timers probably best.
Tinfoil lampshades could be an option. Just in case.
I would suggest Ikea for cheap lamps but Swedish House Mafia. The band is just a front.

Disclaimer....
I have had a couple of beers and this is only meant as a light hearted tease :giggle:

I'm not quite sure what the point of that "lesson" might be.
That is apparent, since you go on to write ....
Maybe you should re-read my question. I know the difference between neutral and earth.
You may know the difference between neutral and earth, but it would appear that you don't know the difference between neutral and 'switched live'.

First glance reveals I would also have to acquire a "hub".
Only with certain manufacturers.

I'm violently hostile to all this Alexa carp.
Don't use it then, it's not compulsory.

This: https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-1-mini-gen3/ installed at the light fitting.
You keep the existing light switch for on/off control.
No hub or other devices required.
Connects via wifi, control and config via a phone app.
That is all.

More info on that and their other products: https://www.shelly.com/en-gb

You may know the difference between neutral and earth, but it would appear that you don't know the difference between neutral and 'switched live'.
Pretty lazy comment. You obviously didn't bother reading the next post after Harry Bloomfield reminded me of the (obvious) situation in a light switch. More likely you **did** read it but are determined to rant anyway to show what a saddo you are.

https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-1-mini-gen3/ installed at the light fitting.
You keep the existing light switch for on/off control.

More info on that and their other products: https://www.shelly.com/en-gb
I went and had a look at that site. I'm a bit puzzled what those illustrated little devices actually do. Do they sit inside an existing light switch? So do they contain a battery? How do they in fact interact with the switch itself? The site really doesn't illustrate how these devices work. Bear in mind that, as described, all I'm interested in is programming ceiling lights when away ... I have no interest in smartifying my house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back