Replacing old double switch trouble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am desperate to try and sort this out, please see the image below:

light switches.png

On the left is the old double switch (controls living room light and stairs light), and on the right is the new one. Bloke at B&Q told me to just connect the 2-ways wires into L22 and L21 (said that order didn't matter) and the 1-ways into L12 and L11, but it's just made a right mess of it and it was turning both lights on with one switch etc. So I installed the old one back, and while the double switch itself works as it should, it made the other two single switches in the living room not work at all, so I have no idea what I have messed up.

Please help, I am starting to lose my sh**

Sponsored Links
Please state:

How many cables are at each switch position.

How many conductors they have.

And the colours of each conductor.

How many switches are there for each light or group of lights?

Bloke at B&Q told me to just connect the 2-ways wires into L22 and L21 (said that order didn't matter) and the 1-ways into L12 and L11
Not quite correct two way would use L22, L21 and com2 and order of L22 and L21 does not matter but com2 must be correct. and the 1 way L11 or L12 and com normally L11 would be used, swapping L11 and L12 changes if down is on or up is on.

It would seem you have three cables two red/black and one red/yellow/blue looking at old switch the red yellow blue the red will go to com1 and yellow and blue to L11 and L12. also one of the red/black will join the three core with a red in with yellow and a black in with blue. That's the two way switch.

For the one way red to L12 and black to com2 or reverse does not matter.

I can't see anything to identify which two core is which, if it does not work swap the two core cables.

Also you will need an earth wire new switch to terminal on back box which I assume already has earth wires in it, if not you can't use that switch.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back