Sand Cement Render Internal

I think i will do the same - batten on the wall attached to the bricks - then render down to it then fix the skirting to the battens. Means the s&c will be easiest at 20mm? or whatever thickness roofing battens are?!

How much gap should i leave though? Would i attach the the batten to be completely above the dpc, or flush with the bottom?

Sponsored Links
If it is above the DPC you shouldn't need to protect the batten against damp contact

If the batten is in contact with damp brickwork, you ought to provide an intermediate layer. I've never had to do that but I suppose you could stick a strip of plastic or something to the back, maybe slit a bit of DPC if you have it. You can also use thick polythene on the ends of joists if built into a wall.

IME the battens I use are about 18mm, you can space then off a bit with washers round the screws or use shims when the brickwork is very irregular, so your skirting goes on flat. Roofers batten is about 25 or 38mm which I think will be too big.

Battens and skirting should not get damp, but I use wood preserver if I think there is a risk.

Thanks - can you help with this though. If i want to tile the wall (and will stop just above the dpc so as not to bridge it - 5mm above ok?) can i then install a tile 'skirting board' ? I could attach it to the bricks below the dpc with s&c then tile adhesive - ensuring i leave a gap under the dpc, then the top of the tile would lap over the wall tiles - i could stick the top part of the skirting tile on with silicone to the wall tiles? Would that bridge the dpc - porcelain tiles.

Have i even explained that in a way that can be understood?! I can draw a sketch?

It's possible to brush away the mortar above and below the dpc, so it is exposed, and render the wall above and below bjt leaving a groove so there is a gap and no continuity.

I've done it but the joint ends up visible. I don't know an elegant way to finish it. you could hide it with a tile or skirting.

Sponsored Links
Thanks - can you help with this though. If i want to tile the wall (and will stop just above the dpc so as not to bridge it - 5mm above ok?) can i then install a tile 'skirting board' ? I could attach it to the bricks below the dpc with s&c then tile adhesive - ensuring i leave a gap under the dpc, then the top of the tile would lap over the wall tiles - i could stick the top part of the skirting tile on with silicone to the wall tiles? Would that bridge the dpc - porcelain tiles.

Have i even explained that in a way that can be understood?! I can draw a sketch?
Right or left?

1729070192395.png

I would think so if the gaps there, and perhaps off the floor? Not sure about that bit. Moisture would have to wick into cement then through tile. Hard to see it causing an issue.
How tall is that section from floor to Dpc. Was this an outdoor wall that's now indoor?
why are you choosing to tile it? Whats the room going to be?

This is in an integral garage. Will be using the room for storage/occasional workshop. Just making it a bit nicer really, and hoping it will warm the room up above - will be fitting a new front door with no draughts, and adding a radiator.

The floor to dpc varies from the back of about a brick and a half, to two bricks at the front.

Id probably take the batton option. One just off the floor, one just above DPC then skirting board, Render or tile down to the top Batton thats flush with top of skirting.
But good luck. I will have a similar issue in my kitchen. I was being lazy and going to dot and dab a skirting board on right over the DPC as its half way up the gap left under plastering. I expect I may need to batton. Just want to google if the dot n dab will breach the DPC first as id rather take the quiet option.

The last time I started drilling walls. My neighbour who works nights, took an axe to my newly built garden wall after a drink.
Id like to avoid that. DOT and dab is quieter.

i think i would prefer that option - problem being two bricks from floor + batten makes a need for skirting of nearly 200mm?

Shame about the neighbour... rendering isnt actually noisy though is it? Mix by hand?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back