Self-leveller disaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,

A plasterer 'helped me out' with self levelling a floor a few days ago (Having plastered the room very well). The result is far from great, with it being about the right level in some places, but down to 4mm shallow in many other places. The whole thing needed about 5mm over it. It was a nice flat screed before.

I've spent 2 hours today with a grinder and cup disc smoothing things out where there are trowel marks and some high spots, but it's still nowhere near good enough to lay LVT onto.

Is it possible, do you think, to have someone else go over it making the whole lot a tiny bit higher, to get a decent result? Calling the last guy back isn't a route I want to bother with.

It was laid on hands and knees, with just a trowel. When I've had it done previously, they had spiked shoes and spiked rollers - that job came out smooth like glass and basically perfect.

Frustrated!
Thanks
Tim

Sponsored Links
Good evening all,

A plasterer 'helped me out' with self levelling a floor a few days ago (Having plastered the room very well). The result is far from great, with it being about the right level in some places, but down to 4mm shallow in many other places. The whole thing needed about 5mm over it. It was a nice flat screed before.

I've spent 2 hours today with a grinder and cup disc smoothing things out where there are trowel marks and some high spots, but it's still nowhere near good enough to lay LVT onto.

Is it possible, do you think, to have someone else go over it making the whole lot a tiny bit higher, to get a decent result? Calling the last guy back isn't a route I want to bother with.

It was laid on hands and knees, with just a trowel. When I've had it done previously, they had spiked shoes and spiked rollers - that job came out smooth like glass and basically perfect.

Frustrated!
Thanks
Tim
Use a dedicated floor layer next time. These fellas REALLY go to town with floor levelling and have it down to a fine art. He can go over the existing, no dramas.

Use a dedicated floor layer next time. These fellas REALLY go to town with floor levelling and have it down to a fine art. He can go over the existing, no dramas.

Yes I will be getting a floor layer in for this now - they are used to laying over it so know it needs to be good.

Im hoping a couple of mm higher wont be noticeable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back