Shopping around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got a renewal form for my car insurance from my insurance company, MoreThan. The fee was £314.
I went on a website (moneysupermarket) that searches through a load of different insurers for you.
I entered all my details (same as last year, same car, full no claims, no accidents etc.)and one of the lowest quotes was for £219, including a 5% discount for new customers, which I accepted.
One of the question I had to fill in was 'Who are your current insurers?', to which I replied MoreThan.
That was yesterday. This morning I had all the documents through the post, and I am insured for £219.
The name of my new insurers, in case you hadn't guessed, is MoreThan!

Sponsored Links
I do wonder sometimes if they use a random number generator to make up quotes. When i first went shopping around a couple of years ago, i got quotes between £700 and £2400 :eek:

and I did a similar thing when it came to renewal, hermes. Renewal quote was £1200. I went online and the same company took 20% off for getting a quote online. And the basic amount was LESS than my renewal quote anyway, with exactly the same information! I phoned them up, told them i dont want to renew, and then accepted the online quote. Fools. lol. And i know it was valid, cos i had to make a claim :cry:

(NUD by the way)

Bunch of criminals, these big institutions. I've just got my sky+ package reduced from £36 to £28:80 cos I threatened to cancel [got to be persistent though]. What really annoys me is that they didn't call me to say they could provide the service cheaper! Bar stewards, all of them:cool:

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

In the good old days, customer loyalty counted for a lot. My Grandad used to be insured by Norman Frizzell in the days when they knew him personally and his custom was appreciated. He was with them most of his driving life.

Nowadays, new customers get the good deals, and existing customers pay more. Where's the cigol in that?

Sponsored Links
Not always, securespark. Just get on that phone & moan like f...! They're quite often releived to get you off the line by negotiating a bit.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

gasmarkone
cheaper sky

how do you do that ? just threaten to leave or package ?

gasmarkone said:
Bunch of criminals, these big institutions. I've just got my sky+ package reduced from £36 to £28:80 cos I threatened to cancel [got to be persistent though]. What really annoys me is that they didn't call me to say they could provide the service cheaper! Bar stewards, all of them:cool:

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.
I did the same with tiscali broadband.

Just been messing around doing some quotes, and if I pick a car thats pretty untypical for someone my age to be driving (cos I'm an arkward git!), one insurer comes out at £1220 TPFT and the rest range between £2500 and £4500 TPFT :eek: :rolleyes:

And even picking that cheap insurer, and a different car, a 1997 would cost £1100 to insure and a 1998 one of exact same car, same spec and everything is £1300

Its all a bloody madness

EDIT: I'm 19 with with no NCB, and only had licence 4 months, if even the cheap ones seem expensive... :

securespark said:
In the good old days, customer loyalty counted for a lot. My Grandad used to be insured by Norman Frizzell in the days when they knew him personally and his custom was appreciated. He was with them most of his driving life.

Main reason for us to stay with an independent insurance broker, they always manage to get our renewal cheaper than anyone online (cause we always check of course). They know who we are, what our circumstances are, just great service.

Moz, yep if you go on some of the sky forums [god knows how I found them!] people there tell you the best ways. I just phoned up [ takes a whole evening this, put you phone on monitor & watch tv :D ] ask for a reduced/negotiate package cos you're not happy. No one helps you until you request to be put thruogh to cancellations, then eventually if you really are going to cancel they find heart and offer a reduction to keep you. This is in the form of a years contract, but reduced payment. They tried half price for 3 months, but I preferred £28:80 for the sky sports pack.

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

PS, has toffee really left?

I had a similar thing when i wanted to leave O2 a year ago. I phoned them to say I wont be renewing my contract when it expires in a months time. They asked why, i just said "i dont want to be tied into a contract again/any more". So woman puts me on hold, and a guy starts telling me about a great deal he can offer me because they want to keep my custom etc. Told me i can get a new free phone, for about £13 a month, with the same minutes allowance i had before for £25 a month. I asked him to tell me which phones i can choose from, and told him i would consider it. Turns out they were all bargain-basement phones :rolleyes: so i phoned them and said i dont want to renew, full stop. Couple of months on pay as you go later, i started another contract with o2 :rolleyes: lol.

gasmarkone
thanks for that I have been with them for years now an at £42 Im wondering If Im subsidicing these word game rip-off channels an those horrible sl*ts on babe watch channels ....;)

hermes said:
I got a renewal form for my car insurance from my insurance company, MoreThan. The fee was £314.
I went on a website (moneysupermarket) that searches through a load of different insurers for you.
I entered all my details (same as last year, same car, full no claims, no accidents etc.)and one of the lowest quotes was for £219, including a 5% discount for new customers, which I accepted.
One of the question I had to fill in was 'Who are your current insurers?', to which I replied MoreThan.
That was yesterday. This morning I had all the documents through the post, and I am insured for £219.
The name of my new insurers, in case you hadn't guessed, is MoreThan!

I've just had a very similiar experience. My buildings & contents insurance renewal came through a couple of weeks ago - £326; I went on-line and got the same policy (from the same provider) for £214.

gasmarkone said:

Mark

Milk, no sugar ta.

yes i totally agree the trouble is with people these days they have no way of standing together they have isolated people so there is no demonstaions they are doing what they like .. and 20 years from now YOUR KIDS WILL BE SLAVES TO THE SYSTEM WHICH IS THE GOOD OLD USA.....

Sponsored Links
Back