Smart meter, economy 7, basic tariff question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment we have what the previous occupier had, old economy 7 meter for electric, not a smart meter.
If we change to a basic tariff (we have done the maths, it works for us) would we need the meter changing ?
It would make sense that if we do need a different meter, a smart meter, then is it within the realms of possibility for the electric supplier to co-ordinate the change to basic tariff and meter change all in one ? We would be staying with the same supplier.
Thanks
Brian.

Sponsored Links
The old meter will at some point need changing, as the radio 4 LW time signal is due to end. But economy 7 is a tariff, not a system, and over the years the way it is used has changed.

In the beginning, we had white meters, and a completely different fuse box for off-peak and on peak supplies. But this did not allow the use of washing machines, tumble driers, and dishwashers at night, and for the immersion heater often one had different elements for peak and off-peak, so you could not heat up enough water for a bath during the day.

So it was latter combined, so all went peak or off-peak, and often a signal was used to tell the storage heaters when to charge. So today my off-peak supply is from midnight to 5 am, and my solar panel inverter is set to charge my battery from 1 am to 5 am, as not sure if midnight UTC or BST so 4 hours is enough anyway.

The peak and off-peak is now done with the smart meter, and my peak rate went up a few p, and the standing charge went down a few p, and the off-peak is down to 8.95p per kWh. Even without my solar panels and battery, the cost difference between the two would be rather small, looking at my app on the smart meter, 6th July 2024 used 0.31 kWh, or £0.10 with standing charge £0.69.

The in home display (IHD)
Fred Bos smart meter.jpg
advertised by the Freddy Boswell look alike, is near useless. But my washing machine, dishwasher, and tumble drier all have a delay start built in, and these are the heavy power users in the home. So even without solar panels and battery, setting these to run off-peak, likely the power will cost less than having a single tariff.

Of course, you want good quality when running overnight, not sure if I would want a vented drier running overnight, but the heat pump type should be OK. With of course a smoke alarm.

But if you have a white meter still, better to get it changed now, rather than wait until radio 4 LW is turned off.

would we need the meter changing
Not normally. They can just add the day and night usage together and charge the same for all of it.
The meter will be changed at some point, but that's not a requirement to move to a fixed single rate tariff.

If you want to use other options such as variable pricing, export, EV charging and all of that, then a working smart meter will be required.

Sponsored Links
In the beginning, we had white meters,
Eric, I think the White meter was at least the second generation not first if I remember correctly.

PS -An older off peak used a separate meter and a time clock backed up with a clockwork mechanism to accomodate small duration power cuts beggaring up the time clock, might have just for an hour or so then if power came back it wound the spring back up ready for next power cut.

Last edited:
Does your time switch have a Time Clock visible or just a black box. If it's a time switch check the time it is displaying - ours has slipped 3 hours so most heavy use in the mornings is on cheap rate.
Radio time switches in recent times still allow the cheap rate 7 or 10 hours in every 24 but it is not so regimented nowadays so you could be getting cheap rate midday rather than over night. Dad's I noted coming on for 3 hours at 11am and the overnight charge from 22:00 to 1am and then for 4 hours around 5am.

If it helps we have an AMPY meter, picture attached. After the END cycle the numbers start again with RATE 4, the one shown.
There is nothing to show which is DAY or NIGHT rate, we have always used the previous occupiers numbers and the energy company has never queried them. Can anyone please explain how this meter works/reads as I can't find it on Google.
Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCF7878.JPG
    DSCF7878.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 46
Your not alone, I have a smart meter, it has a button to scroll through the multiple displays, and I have failed to work out what they all are.

It seems the installer should have explained, but failed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back