Smart meter ?

If only it wasn't always 30 years away... :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, many things are ... even HS2 and 'smart' meter roll-out :)

However, my hope is that future generations will be able to enjoy a world in which they can have 'clean' (and maybe even 'cheap') energy without all the visual effects on the environment of 'the renewables', as we currently know them.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I was also against water meters, already one in this house and it has saved me a lot of money.

Happy new year everyone, and hope we all make connect selections when we look back on them.

I was also against water meters, already one in this house and it has saved me a lot of money.,

A meter has saved me around 200-250 per year, and for the last 6 years, so around £1200 -£1500 just counting it at the prices of 6 years ago. I try to take a more logical view, and never discount doing anything based on the sceptics, and conspiracy theorists. I looked at Smart meters at the same time, saw their limitations and potential advantages of being better informed about my consumption, especially gas consumption, and thought why not. Electricity consumption is easy to track by other means, but gas consumption, when and how much, is not so easy without considerable effort, my major bill in winter is that of heating and gas consumption, but most people only seem to be concerned about electric consumption figures.

Happy new year everyone, and hope we all make connect selections when we look back on them.

..and the same from me, except to those who keep diverting threads to Brexit, and illegal immigrants!

Sponsored Links
I was also against water meters, already one in this house and it has saved me a lot of money.
It is not the meter itself that saves you money but the senseless way the bills are calculated.

Have you thought what would be the result for the water companies finances if everyone had a meter and was similarly bribed?

Another point Eric:

Did you actually reduce your water consumption or did the bills just reduce by 66% like my father's did when he had a meter installed?
This in the South West; the dearest in the country.

Well in our house whether we use no water or turn all the taps on full all year it only costs the same amount - we actually do use it quite wisely I think anyway

Well in our house whether we use no water or turn all the taps on full all year it only costs the same amount - we actually do use it quite wisely I think anyway

I changed, almost nothing, about the way I used water. I suppose it does tend to focus the mind little more on consumption, if you are paying for what you use, and I believe everyone should pay for what they consume.

A meter has saved me around 200-250 per year, and for the last 6 years, so around £1200 -£1500 just counting it at the prices of 6 years ago. I try to take a more logical view, and never discount doing anything based on the sceptics, and conspiracy theorists. I looked at Smart meters at the same time, saw their limitations and potential advantages of being better informed about my consumption, especially gas consumption, and thought why not. Electricity consumption is easy to track by other means, but gas consumption, when and how much, is not so easy without considerable effort, my major bill in winter is that of heating and gas consumption, but most people only seem to be concerned about electric consumption figures.

..and the same from me, except to those who keep diverting threads to Brexit, and illegal immigrants!
I have a similar experience to you with having a smart meter, I have saved approx. £300 - £400 pounds over the past year.

We have had a water meter for many years, I remember we made a pretty large saving based on what we paid previously in water rates.

I have a similar experience to you with having a smart meter, I have saved approx. £300 - £400 pounds over the past year.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear - I was initially discussing what I had saved on installing a water meter alone.

Savings on installing SM's are less easy to define, I long ago began swapping to LED's, and more efficient TV's etc., just to get my electric bill down. For gas, I was able with an SM, to experiment with a variety of methods of using my heating systems, for better economy - the most economical way, without being cold, was to maintain a fairly low CH temperature most of the time, increasing it only when needed, and make more use of a living room gas fire, for a higher temperature, especially in the evening.

Sorry, I should have made it more clear - I was initially discussing what I had saved on installing a water meter alone.

Savings on installing SM's are less easy to define, I long ago began swapping to LED's, and more efficient TV's etc., just to get my electric bill down. For gas, I was able with an SM, to experiment with a variety of methods of using my heating systems, for better economy - the most economical way, without being cold, was to maintain a fairly low CH temperature most of the time, increasing it only when needed, and make more use of a living room gas fire, for a higher temperature, especially in the evening.
My saving last year has been due to being able to spot a big waste of energy caused by two electric heaters coming on all through the night. Until I had a fully working smart meter I hadn’t spotted it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back