Smell of gas from boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
We juat moved into a new property and have a baxi duo tech 28 erp and on the odd occasion when the boiler fires up you get a smell of gas for a few seconds then it goes away. It's in the kitchen and the flu goes straight out the wall next to it into the garden so not sure if the smell is going out the flu into the garden and blowing back in through kitchen window or if its coming from the boiler itself and either way if it changes anything?

Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
The flue is 95 inches from the ground which I have taken a photo of. You can see how the boiler is right next to the window next to the flue.
Only the odd occasion do we smell gas when boiler fires up. Not sure if the smell os coming out of the flue and back in though the window or straight from boiler?
1000016094.jpg

The flute
1000016093.jpg

Sponsored Links
Probably in through the window, it should be a minimum of 300mm away so doesn't comply with regs as it stands.

Thanks for this.
Appreciate it.
Do I have to now make sure it complys with current regs? If I don't whats the consequences?
I just bought the house 3 months ago and didn't know it didn't comply.

So in terms of the very occasional smell of gas when boiler fires up?

Likely the smell of products of combustion, often mistaken for a smell of gas. It’s classed as not to current standards, so you may be able to get a plume kit fitted if available for that boiler.

Thanks for this.
Appreciate it.
Do I have to now make sure it complys with current regs? If I don't whats the consequences?
I just bought the house 3 months ago and didn't know it didn't comply.

It's your house and so technically you don't have to do anything. However if you were to report to a Gas Safe Registered engineer visiting your home that you could smell it when your window is open, they would be expected to class it as Immediately Dangerous and disconnect it from the gas supply.

It's your house and so technically you don't have to do anything. However if you were to report to a Gas Safe Registered engineer visiting your home that you could smell it when your window is open, they would be expected to class it as Immediately Dangerous and disconnect it from the gas supply.
Thanks and then leave me without gas ? And then what would we have to do to get gas back on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back