Socket in a cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can a socket be fitted in a cupboard of a down stairs shower room to power a tumble dryer if there is a door that can be closed when the tumble dryer is in use? there would be no access to the socket unless you pulled the tumble dryer out.

Sponsored Links
Very likely it would comply. As it if a good idea is another question. Clearly any new socket today has to be RCD protected so unlikely to be a problem but questions like this are best answered by some one on site. I have in the past said yes can be done then seen the job and considered it did not comply after all.

So I would ask an electrician to give a quote and see what he says when he is on site.

yea one electrician is saying it is ok because it is closed off via the door and is not immiediatley accessible but then another is saying it is not

i think the definition is a tool to access or similar so just have a key to lock to comply

Sponsored Links
If the socket is 3 metres or more from the edge of the tray it will comply anyway (with RCD protection)

its a wet room so i know in the regs it makes the zone larger to 1.2m wrapping around a partition wall, so a key to lock the cupboard would be ok then? the shower goes right upto the partition wall

if my recollection off a tool to access is correct then it should be ok as it will need the key as a tool to open

but its your electrician that has the last word

I don't see a socket in a cupboard to be an issue.
If there were a w.c. in there it would be another room.

The key issue may satisfy a regulation or two but would it ever be locked and to what purpose?
Can you not operate keys with wet hands while standing in a puddle?

i think the definition is a tool to access or similar so just have a key to lock to comply
A lever is a tool. A door handle is a lever.
You're surely not suggesting that when 'access requiring a tool' is required for safety (e.g. to restrict acces to live conductors) a lever-type door handle would satisfy that requirement? !!

I think the crucial bit of the defintion of a 'tool' which you're probably missing is something along the lines of the fact that it should be something which is not permanently affixed to (and hence 'always ready to be used to open') the enclosure/whatever.

Kind Regards, John

Can you find me the definition in BS 7671 which contains that provision?
As you know, I can't - but that doesn't make your suggestion any less ridiculous. Maybe even dictionary definitions would be adequate - it is surely quite clear that that the intent is that 'a tool' is something which is 'taken to the job', not a permanent part of the equipment.

Would you be happy if you had children in your house, your CU was installed low down and it's cover could be removed by means of 'screwdrivers' which were permanently welded to the cover-retaining screws' heads? :rolleyes:

Kind Regards, John

tool   
noun
an implement, especially one held in the hand, as a hammer, saw, or file, for performing or facilitating mechanical operations.
any instrument of manual operation.
:)

Don't forget it is a door.

tool  noun 1. an implement, especially one held in the hand, as a hammer, saw, or file, for performing or facilitating mechanical operations. 2. any instrument of manual operation.:)
Thanks. A door handle clear does not qualify as (1), but (2) would cover virtually anything (wot's 'an instrument'?) operated 'by hand', potentially including a door handle - although I don't think that something like that would ever be called 'a tool' in everyday usage, do you?
Don't forget it is a door.
I'm definitely not forgetting that, since that is my point. I continue to regard it as ridiculous to suggest that a regular door handle (on a door) renders things on the other side of door 'accessible only by use of a tool', don't you? Would you be happy for people to be protected from, say, live busbars by a door equipped with a handle, by means of which anyone could open it? !!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back