Spur from cooker circuit

hi spark123

i would think its perfectly safe for a 1.5 connected to the cooker circuit providing it was fused downstream (overload protection), and providing disconnection times were quick enough (short circuit protection)

as i said above, as long as the installer is competent and has assessed the circuit, then it is no less safer. would you agree with me on this statement??

now guys don't get me wrong, its ideal to fuse before, because this is what's most often done in practice. but where it's not reasonably practical to do so, it's not any less safer to fuse after..

i never proposed fusing downstream all the time, just where it may be more practical to do so, as it wouldn't be any less safer.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
At the start of this thread, the topic had an "electrician (?)". This makes me think there is a question about competency. As this is a DIY forum, I do not consider it safe to say it is OK to go around installing 1.5mm² in a cooker circuit as Joe Bloggs may take it on and then go out and do it without all the correct information.
I will only agree when the 1.5mm² is installed correctly and all of the information is made available for me to assess the ability of the upstream protective device to disconnect the supply in the event of a fault.
I understand the point which you are making, i.e. another example could be "it is generally regarded OK to use 2.5mm² T&E rated anywhere between 20A & 27A as a spur from a 32A ring."

i suppose there's a danger in an inexperienced diy-er reading this post and jumping to the conclusion 1.5mm is ok in all cases. cos it isn't. however at the same time it would be incorrect for people to say it's dangerous in all cases. such statements should be corrected.

i would think its perfectly safe for a 1.5 connected to the cooker circuit providing it was fused downstream (overload protection), and providing disconnection times were quick enough (short circuit protection)

i don't think such a diyer would take such an action based upon my statement, as they most likely wouldn't know how to calculate disconnection times.

thanks for your input.

user56565 said:
i don't think such a diyer would take such an action based upon my statement, as they most likely wouldn't know how to calculate disconnection times.

so do you think by making that statement its ok now and all is well?

i dont think so :!:

diy person would just carry on in ignorance, which is what they usually do, untill it goes bang. (read other posts and see)

so in short,

you can not spur off a cooker connection unit, its switch or for that matter a shower with a 1.mm cable.

Sponsored Links
and it doesnt sound like he's part P registered or has any intentions on gettin LABC to check the work... which is illegal
But I'll bet an awfull lot of people still do it & are oblivious to the regs.

It's a bit late to be commenting on this - it's over 4 years old and the person you're replying to hasn't been around for over a year....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back