Spur off Double Socket.

I wouldnt have a clue where this original twin is fed from (to put in the unswitched before it)!
You don't need to know.
You fit the unswitched FCU where the existing twin is, and still keep the existing twin.

Sponsored Links
There is no regulatory restriction on how many unfused spurs can originate from one point on the ring,

Maybe not but only numpties would have 2 spurs off a socket circuit at the same point

Sometimes it doesn't need to be written down

Sponsored Links
No but where does it say 2 spurs from 1 point IS permitted?

Why do people always think they know better and cut corners at customers expense?
It doesn't have to. This is about posting information that is WRONG:

"If the circuit is Ring Final Circuit (general assumption would be 32A Breaker and 2x2.5mm cable connected for RFC at the DB) , you can only take one unfused spur from the feed/supply socket. You cannot have multiple unfused spurs."

is incorrect, that's all there is to it.

I suppose the easiest thing to do here is change the new spurred off single to a twin and get the new fireplace flex up the chimney breast void and plug it into the twin with the TV also plugged into the twin.

Or even hardwire the fireplace into the back of the twin but my concern would that it would leave a spare socket which if used I would have 1) TV Plug 2) fireplace hardwired through back and 3) a spare socketon the twin which could overload?

Where the 2.5mm from the existing twin goes through the side of chimney breast would it be worthwhile putting an FCU there for the new twin, I need to put something at this point anyway as I have a hole for the 2.5mm (just above new skirting).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240816_103548_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240816_103548_Gallery.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
My understanding has always been - only one unfused spur, from any point on the ring - as per @PrenticeBoyofDerry post.
I think you (and PrenticeBoyof Derry) must have imagined that. There isn't any such regulation, and certainly hasn't been in other recent editions of regs. You surely must have seen the many discussions here about getting four conductors into a socket's terminals when originating two spurs?

Even the 'prohibition' of an unfused spur from a ring final feeding two single sockets is just 'informative guidance' in an Appendix of the regs, not a ';regulation'. Electrically speaking, there is nothing wrong with two single sockets being fed (from anywhere) through Method C 2.5mm² cable.

Maybe not but only numpties would have 2 spurs off a socket circuit at the same point
Why? Provided one can get the required number of conductors satisfactorily into each terminal, what is your problem with it?

Would they also be numpties if they originated spurs from two sockets which were, say 3 inches from one another?

Not sure I agree with that. ... 18th ed AMD 2 pages 555 & 556
Quite apart from the fact that those pages are 'informative guidance', not regulations, where on those pages do you think it says that one cannot originate two spurs from the same point?

Quite apart from the fact that those pages are 'informative guidance', not regulations, where on those pages do you think it says that one cannot originate two spurs from the same point?

"Informative guidance" as you put it would show this if it was a reasonable idea. ................... but doesn't

It also only says use 4mm² for an unfused spur to two sockets on the 4mm² radial diagram.

Do you think that means the same is not allowed on a ring or to more than two sockets?

"Informative guidance" as you put it would show this if it was a reasonable idea. ................... but doesn't
It's not only me who "puts it" in that way. BS7671 says ...
NOTE: Appendix 1 is normative, and is thus a requirement.
All other appendices are informative, and are provided as guidance.

Appendix 15 cannot possibly be, and therefore presumably is not intended to be, totally 'exhaustive'. You surely don;'t believe that the absence of something from the examples example shown in the diagrams in that Appendix means that they are necessarily "not a reasonable idea", do you?

You still haven't indicated what you see wrong with two spurs originating from the same point.

The grid switch setups one often sees in kitchens commonly have 3 or 4 'spurs' originating from what is essentially 'one point' on a ring final.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back