Storage Heaters

sb2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have very old central hot air Storage Heaters.

I am look to install 2x new Dimplex Quantum Storage Heaters

I have a new full RCBO consumer unit with a 40A RCBO attach to 10mm2 twin and earth cable to cupboard where the unit is.

Question:
1. is it best to put in a small consumer unit to supply the 2x new Dimplex Quantum Storage Heaters?
2. Is do I need to put RCBO / RCD or just MCB?
3. Is there any safety averaged the having in RCBO or RCD in the Storage Heaters consumer unit as there is a RCBO in the supply?

Sponsored Links
Except for the supply to narrow boats and caravans, RCD/RCBO as set at 3x values, so typically 10 mA fed from 30 mA fed from 100 mA fed from 300 mA etc. There is no point feeding a 30 mA from a 30 mA.

The whole supply to off-peak is in flux, due to the fact that the radio 4 time signal is likely to be soon lost. The system has changed over the years, starting with the white meter, but I am also looking at changing tariffs and off-peak can vary from 5 to 10 hours, so one has to consider how long one can store energy for. Even back in the 70s, some storage systems could retain heat for a week, when the storage was centralised.

At the moment, I get off-peak for 5 hours, and this for me charges a battery, and the time is set on the software for the inverter, there is a system with trigger wires, as well as turning a whole consumer unit on/off, so much depends on your storage system. There is no one way to do it. My washing machine, tumble drier, and dishwasher all have timers, so I can set when they start, it is all down to how yours works, on best options, my machines will not start if the supply is lost at any point before start time, so simply would not work with the old white meter system.

So there are that many variables, there is no one answer to your question.

1. is it best to put in a small consumer unit to supply the 2x new Dimplex Quantum Storage Heaters?
Certainly not. What's wrong with the existing consumer unit?

2. Is do I need to put RCBO / RCD or just MCB?
Pretty much all circuits in dwellings require RCD protection.

3. Is there any safety averaged the having in RCBO or RCD in the Storage Heaters consumer unit as there is a RCBO in the supply?
Not applicable, as shoving a consumer unit with RCDs/RCBOs at the end of a supply from another RCBO is a poor design and entirely unnecessary.

• Thanks
Reactions: sb2
Sponsored Links
Certainly not. What's wrong with the existing consumer unit?

Pretty much all circuits in dwellings require RCD protection.

Not applicable, as shoving a consumer unit with RCDs/RCBOs at the end of a supply from another RCBO is a poor design and entirely unnecessary.

Thanks flameport.

There 1x 10mm2 T&E to the cupboard (to supply the central hot air Storage Heaters) from a 40A RCBO in main consumer unit and very hard to get a second cable to the cupboard.
So the plan is to fit a 4 way consumer unit (in the cupboard) with 100A SW and 2x 20A MCB, then use 2x 2.5mm2 T&E from this CU to supply the 2x new Dimplex Quantum Storage Heaters.

Dose that sound OK, as will be RCD protection from the RCBO in main consumer unit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back