Strange noise from VW brakes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
There is a strange noise coming from the brakes of a VW Tiguan, 2010.
As the car is stopping, just before stopping, there's a kind of squelchy noise, a bit like a wash leather or rubber on glass. This is the best I can describe it.
Has anyone got any ideas, whether it is dangerous or something to put up with.
Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
Agreed, maybe just dust build up causing a slightly sticking caliper. Does the brake feel hot at all? (Don't check with your finger)!
John

Sponsored Links
Hi,
The system has been stripped and cleaned and the fluid flushed, but didn't cure it.
I suspect the pads, although they have plenty of life left.
Is it possible they've got contaminated.
Has anyone heard noises like I describe before with other cars?
C.

Has anyone heard noises like I describe before with other cars?

I’ve had 'creaks' coming from the brakes at low speed before when the front hub/driveshaft nut has been slightly loose. I think it was the drive shaft spline to hub spline creaking. Tightening the driveshaft nut cured it.

Hi,
Earlier I stood next to the car while it was squelching still, and it was only on one side, and to me seemed like the brakes and pads.

After the initial test and clean, it took a few days before the noise came back.
Today, we put the car though a car wash, so jets of soapy water into the wheels, and the noise has gone. To me this again points to contamination of the pads, where the noise stops after being temporarily cleaned.
Does anyone agree?
C.

What did the "cleaning" involve?

Is there an electronic parking brake?

Sponsored Links
Back