SWA into ground

securespark said:
My missus says I'm still 11 inside my head :LOL:

according to my missus, 11 is an adult compared to me.......I have no idea what she means........any-hoos how many 11 year olds go out and work for a living, buy a house with a kitchen in for them.....(see, I am sweet)

Sponsored Links
A kitchen? You posh get!!

All our house had was a scullery. And I scored an own goal cos I forgot that I do 99% of the cooking!!

ChrisRogers said:
does anyone know of an internet supplier of this ducting?
There's probably a good reason why you can't use it (e.g. it's blue), but Screwfix sell MDPE piping. Only 20mm though. You may find a better selection at your nearest builder's yard.

ban-all-sheds said:
ChrisRogers said:
does anyone know of an internet supplier of this ducting?
There's probably a good reason why you can't use it (e.g. it's blue), but Screwfix sell MDPE piping. Only 20mm though. You may find a better selection at your nearest builder's yard.

The MDPE piping in screw fix is actually water pipe and not suitable for this purpose.

Unfortunately there is no-one selling cable ducting over the internet in the UK..I know I spent a day serching for some recently, your lucky if half of them even list on the websites!

Best thing to do is ask in a Local Electrical Wholesaler, Edmundsons usually carry some, so do the larger Newey and Eyre. If they don't have it in stock, they will be able to get it within 24 to 36 hours.

Sponsored Links
So - genuine not sarky or rhetorical Q - in what way is pipe not pipe? What makes that water pipe unsuitable for putting cable through?

Same with plastic conduit - fittings aside, how does, e.g. MK Egatube differ from push-fit overflow piping at a fraction of the cost?

Didn't take it that way, but the question is a bit like saying...An Aston Martin is simply a Ford, or Ferrari are just flash Fiats!! :D:D

Ask the BSi, they determine what is good for what and why.

Remember, the law states that cable must be in duct that conforms to a specific standard. The idea of ducting is to protect the cable, MDPE pipe (Polypipe) will not do that adequately as it is not designed to do so.

And also, as 20mm polypie has a internal diameter slightly less that 20mm, pushing a cable through it would be a rather hard affair.

The best alternative for the DIYer is 100mm PVC drainage pipe, it is made of the same stuff as the hard duct used by BT and many of the Utilities companies for cable ducting, and it will certainly afford the protection required, and is made to the same (although numbered differently) standard as the hard ducting.

To be honest, it will be a darn site cheaper to buy and can be had from any good DIY store.

FWL_Engineer said:
Didn't take it that way, but the question is a bit like saying...An Aston Martin is simply a Ford, or Ferrari are just flash Fiats!! :D:D

images

fiat-seicento-sunroof.jpg

Jim...I can see why the mix up....they look the same to me.... :confused:

Ian, FIAT are Ferrari's Parent company, hence the comment..just as Ford owns Aston. :D

FWL_Engineer said:
sterose said:
Forget the ducting, just make sure you bury it plenty deep.

That is a stupid thing to say as you are encouraging people to break the law..visve Electricity Supply Regulations Act 1989 which states, and this is a cut and paste post.

Only cable meeting the requirements of BS5490:1977(1985), BS5593:1978(1991), BS6207, BS6346:1997, BS6724 : 1997, BS7889 : 1997, shall be used for external purposes where such cable is to be buried in the ground. All such cables must be enclosed in cable ducting manufactured to comply with BS EN 50085 and BS EN 50085-1 : 1999. Such ducting must be laid upon a bed of sand or similar material which must have a depth of not less than 100mm. The Ducting must be covered with a layer of sand or similar material having a depth of not less than 100mm, this sand or similar material must be identified in accordance with BS1710 : 1984(1991) using indication tape manufactured in accordance with BS 5378-1:1980 which must be a minimum of 450mm below surface

As you can see, the law is quite strict on this point.

Point taken, but isnt the point of armoured cable to prevent people pushing a shovel through the cable, and, if so, what is the need for ducting.

sterose said:
Point taken, but isnt the point of armoured cable to prevent people pushing a shovel through the cable, and, if so, what is the need for ducting.

The armouring of SWA is designed to give BASIC mechanical protection to cables when used in hardous enviroments where they may be subjected to greater physical stresses than usual.

Underground cables are subject to stress caused by ground movement, animals etc, if the outer PVC sheath is damaged, then the cable may lose the ability of the SWA to properly protect the cable or provide an adequate earth path as the SWA would corrode due to moisture in the ground..that is why it is put in ducting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back