Taking a "sicky"

Is it any wonder some employees "aren't fully committed", when it is clear from some of the responses on here that some companies aren't either?

Sponsored Links
The working environment in the 70s and 80s was a series of running battles between management and shop floor. Always toxic, sometimes openly hostile, occasionally a war zone. Like Vietnam; "you had to be there, man".

I should say, mind you, they helped me out a couple of times during personal crises, so it wasn't all bad: if you had a good work record and put your nose to the grindstone when required. The odd 'sicky' was often overlooked.

Last edited:
I think you get to know the company you work for. When I was in banking in London, taking holiday and days off was always a headache, so if you needed a day off you'd be more likely to throw a sickie - as said already, you're guaranteed the day off. Handy for interviews etc too.

If you work for a flexible company that understands that sometimes life gets in the way, you should be able to take a day off at short notice. Luckily in my job I can do this, although not needed it yet - I have instead worked from home at short notice when I was actually sick though. Don't get sick pay, so being able to WFH is really handy when you have a bout of the runs or a nasty cold.

Sponsored Links
The objective of a union is to maximise pay, terms and conditions for the worker. Stuff the business, competition and shareholder.

The objective of the employer is to pay only the pay, terms and conditions necessary to attract and retain the necessary staff. If they can’t attract the right people then they need to innovate to survive.

There will always be a conflict. It gets out of hand when the business is public sector and there are no market forces to drive down pay or increase innovation to meet supply and demand.

The job of HR in any company is to enable management to do what they want when they want, legally.

Right now for example I have vacancy in the EU and my HR is advising I pull it to the U.K. due to the more favourable terms.

The objective of a union is to maximise pay, terms and conditions for the worker. Stuff the business, competition and shareholder.

The objective of the employer is to pay only the pay, terms and conditions necessary to attract and retain the necessary staff. If they can’t attract the right people then they need to innovate to survive.

There will always be a conflict. It gets out of hand when the business is public sector and there are no market forces to drive down pay or increase innovation to meet supply and demand.

The job of HR in any company is to enable management to do what they want when they want, legally.

Right now for example I have vacancy in the EU and my HR is advising I pull it to the U.K. due to the more favourable terms.
In the UK not in places like Germany where unions and management work much better together. That said zHetman companies ruthlessly exploit our labour laws

Blup

For the vast majority of the EU, there is no concept of redundancy for profitable companies, you have to buy them off. Some countries have mandatory statutory inflation pay rises, others holiday bonuses, there is no trial period in many and the idea of working for 2 years before you get basic protection is unheard of.

In the last 4 firms I have worked for in global roles, Its US first, then UK, then some of the ex-commonwealth etc.. Germans like doing business with Germans as do French, but everyone else is happy to work with Brits. We are more flexible and often a little bit cheaper.

My mates firm brought out a policy that single days off sick would not be paid but a week off would. You can guess how that backfired on them!
Surely the week off would have to be backed up by a doctor's note that the employee was half dead?

mental health is a reason for a boob job.
Massively disagree with your scorn-pouring there. How a woman feels about her body often has a profound impact on her mental health.

Not too impressed with motorbiking's lack of consideration for the notion either

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about" is a great starting point to giving being more empathetic a chance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back