Taking a "sicky"

Sponsored Links
How society tells her to feel has a massive impact . Women are constantly being told it is their body their choice but pressured into conforming

Blup

IMG_4869.gif

Sponsored Links
How society tells her to feel has a massive impact . Women are constantly being told it is their body their choice but pressured into conforming

Blup

I told my wife she has the body of a 16 year old, but maybe she should give it back before she stretches it.

Out once, a mate said (to his missus, loudly and in front of us), "Love, you've got a body like Beyoncé!"

Then turned to us and said "A Beyoncé castle!" :ROFLMAO:

In my last engineering role I was considered a 'very valuable asset to the team', by department manager, as I was the only one with the knowledge of individual lubrication schemes for each of the multi-million pounds machines. I had studied each machine and read all the bumpf about them so drew up charts and planned schedules for them. Doing it this way saved me headaches over what machines required which lubes, when, how much and which parts could be delayed etc. It meant I could work more productively than past guys could, saved them buying/using the wrong types and ultimately helped reduce downtime through failures. That manager showed his appreciation by allowing me to take time off at a moments notice if my disabled wife needed me at home or to take her to hospital for urgent treatment. He showed his appreciation to other team members if they were willing to put the effort in in their respective trades, so all in all he was a good manager and got a good work ethos from most of the team.
Then he left for a better job and we ended up with a university grad who had a business degree but little to no knowledge of running a maintenance department. and certainly no 'people skills'. His mantra seemed to be when he said jump you asked how high.
One of the side effects of my meds for my CKD was my gums were shrinking. However, I couldn't have any dental work done whilst taking certain meds so my teeth started to become loose due to shrinking gums. The time came when I was able to stop the problem meds but it was too late to save my teeth and I needed them all removed and have dentures fitted, (didn't fancy the idea of screw ins). The company had a policy of 3 'sick' absences in any rolling 12 months would disqualify you from the sick scheme and you could face disciplinary action. I required 6-7 different appointments with an orthodontist and asked for management discretion to count them as one single absence but this ar$ehole refused. It eventually came down to a head-to-head with me, my union rep, (useless tosser), department manager, (grad guy), senior department manager, production manager, HR manager and deputy MD.
So I am sitting in a meeting with a useless union rep against 1 shopfloor manager and 5 senior managers requesting them to treat my case with discretion, as was the prerogative and they point blank refused to do so. They refused to state why they were doing it for someone else in our department who had a day off each month to donate platelets at a blood bank. I was threatened that if I persisted, they would have no alternative but to dismiss me for gross misconduct. I told them I was having the treatment as and when dictated by the orthodontist and if they sacked me I would see them at an industrial tribunal for unfair dismissal. My manager, (the grad), then began to make my life difficult through various means and so I told HR if he didn't back off I would leave and sue for constructive dismissal. He didn't, so I left and took them to court. They settled out of court because I supplied them with a figure I would be asking the court to award, based on a financial analysis of my losses from an independent financial loss adjuster. I walked away with just over £20k and written confirmation they only ever gave basic work references to future employers, (i'e' when you started, when you finished, what work you did for them and nothing about timekeeping/relationship with others etc). I got a glowing one from my previous manager though.
All because they were not willing to use their discretion. In the 2 1/2 years I worked under that new manager the department lost 9 highly skilled tradesmen. He eventually jumped before he was pushed, a few months after me and two others had left.

In my last engineering role I was considered a 'very valuable asset to the team', by department manager, as I was the only one with the knowledge of individual lubrication schemes for each of the multi-million pounds machines. I had studied each machine and read all the bumpf about them so drew up charts and planned schedules for them. Doing it this way saved me headaches over what machines required which lubes, when, how much and which parts could be delayed etc. It meant I could work more productively than past guys could, saved them buying/using the wrong types and ultimately helped reduce downtime through failures. That manager showed his appreciation by allowing me to take time off at a moments notice if my disabled wife needed me at home or to take her to hospital for urgent treatment. He showed his appreciation to other team members if they were willing to put the effort in in their respective trades, so all in all he was a good manager and got a good work ethos from most of the team.
Then he left for a better job and we ended up with a university grad who had a business degree but little to no knowledge of running a maintenance department. and certainly no 'people skills'. His mantra seemed to be when he said jump you asked how high.
One of the side effects of my meds for my CKD was my gums were shrinking. However, I couldn't have any dental work done whilst taking certain meds so my teeth started to become loose due to shrinking gums. The time came when I was able to stop the problem meds but it was too late to save my teeth and I needed them all removed and have dentures fitted, (didn't fancy the idea of screw ins). The company had a policy of 3 'sick' absences in any rolling 12 months would disqualify you from the sick scheme and you could face disciplinary action. I required 6-7 different appointments with an orthodontist and asked for management discretion to count them as one single absence but this ar$ehole refused. It eventually came down to a head-to-head with me, my union rep, (useless tosser), department manager, (grad guy), senior department manager, production manager, HR manager and deputy MD.
So I am sitting in a meeting with a useless union rep against 1 shopfloor manager and 5 senior managers requesting them to treat my case with discretion, as was the prerogative and they point blank refused to do so. They refused to state why they were doing it for someone else in our department who had a day off each month to donate platelets at a blood bank. I was threatened that if I persisted, they would have no alternative but to dismiss me for gross misconduct. I told them I was having the treatment as and when dictated by the orthodontist and if they sacked me I would see them at an industrial tribunal for unfair dismissal. My manager, (the grad), then began to make my life difficult through various means and so I told HR if he didn't back off I would leave and sue for constructive dismissal. He didn't, so I left and took them to court. They settled out of court because I supplied them with a figure I would be asking the court to award, based on a financial analysis of my losses from an independent financial loss adjuster. I walked away with just over £20k and written confirmation they only ever gave basic work references to future employers, (i'e' when you started, when you finished, what work you did for them and nothing about timekeeping/relationship with others etc). I got a glowing one from my previous manager though.
All because they were not willing to use their discretion. In the 2 1/2 years I worked under that new manager the department lost 9 highly skilled tradesmen. He eventually jumped before he was pushed, a few months after me and two others had left.

If this was after 2010, you should have asked for reasonable adjustments, not discretion. There is good case law that people with illnesses that cause disability can ask for reasonable adjustments, which include not treating absence related to the disability as sickness.

conny unfortunately an all too common scenario these days , not only can they not do the job themselves they are not prepared to listen to the experienced guy that can .The only good thing is their knowledge of employment law and procedures is also very limited and they end up on a loser . Good on you for standing your ground and winning

Well done for standing up to them, how thick do you have to be to treat illness as a form of misconduct.

Blup

If this was after 2010, you should have asked for reasonable adjustments, not discretion. There is good case law that people with illnesses that cause disability can ask for reasonable adjustments, which include not treating absence related to the disability as sickness.
I quoted the disability act to them on numerous occasions, and even gave each one of them a copy from the government website. One senior manager just tossed it away across the table saying he wasn't interested in that kind of stuff. I promptly called that meeting to a close and said to arrange another one without him there. It was arranged, he turned up and I had it put on record that his contribution would not be acceptable to me in any shape or form. It was a tough battle, but once I had started, I was determined to see it through. Thankfully my eldest stepson is a senior manager who deals with pay reviews, pension payments etc and knows all about company law, so he was a great asset to me and advised how far I could push them on certain points.

Sponsored Links
Back