Testing Q

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
Will an insulation test damage the neon indicator in an FCU?

Not is if is set to 500V, However I would still recommend disconnecting it as it could give false readings..depending on the test you are doing of course :)

The only snag is that you can't disconnect the neon in an FCU (well, not in the ones I've got).

I could switch them off, but then the insulation test wouldn't extend to the circuits served by the FCUs...

Tried a little test - cabled up an FCU with a neon indicator. Does indeed give false readings on a L-N test - 265k.ohms, vs >1.999G with the FCU switched off. Actually, I think a better term would be "misleading"

Neon undamaged by the test (500V - zapped it several times), which should come as no surprise to anyone who thinks about the peak voltage the neon normally sees 100 times a second. Doh :oops:

Maybe I'll try 1kV in the interests of science :eek: :evil:

Have now done the 1kV test - same results, & neon lived to tell the tale...

Sponsored Links
Ban, the problem with this method of testing is that it is actually incorrect anyway.

When doing an insulation resistance test on a circuit, you should disconnect spurs and test the legs individually, so the neon should never be an issue anyway.

What occurs in practise is another matter :)

mmmm.

And also lets not forget the possibility of surge protected sockets in the circuit...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back