Thanks Kier.

Sponsored Links
From the link (that you didn't read, obviously)

"Overall prices rose by 2.2% in the year to July" My bold.

When was the election again? You need to stop the trolling Mottie, it's becoming tiresome. Every day another pointless thread.
Feel free to ignore my threads then. Don’t waste your time replying of it’s a pointless thread in your mind. Start a couple of interesting ones of your own, I’m sure they’ll be riveting.

So you are saying when the price of gas and electricity falls, inflation rises?

I think it's finally clicked for me :)

In June 2023 the energy price cap was £2500 and in June 2024 it was £1690 - so that's a fall of £810 in the 12 months to June 2024

In July 2023 the energy price cap was £1976 and in July 2024 it was £1568 - so that's a fall of just £408 in the 12 months to July 2024

Hence the rate of inflation rises from 2.0% in June 2024 to 2.2% in July 2024. Because the amount of the fall in energy prices, which is depressing inflation, is not as big in July as it was in June.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Never-the-less, whatever way it’s presented, the hard fact is, as the headlines say, the rate of inflation has risen for the first time this year. Labours fault.

Never-the-less, whatever way it’s presented, the hard fact is, as the headlines say, the rate of inflation has risen for the first time this year. Labours fault.

Is that your way of thanking me for working it out and explaining it :)

I don't remember you saying much when it was soaring under the tories

The main proplem with inflation is services still running at 5.2%. It's falling but not as fast as we would hope. Fuel costs can't explain that unless they are still trying to recover losses compared with better days before they really went up. Wages may figure. The earlier average wage increases across the spectrum don't appear to have had much effect but they may creep in over time as companies recover their costs.

It's been on the BBC news, saying it's gone up this last month, but **** me, they put a spin on it "didn't go up as much as expected". Why expect it to go up when it's been steadily dropping? Did something happen in the UK in the last month which affected things?

Why expect it to go up when it's been steadily dropping?
I just posted one for you. Wages. They can take a while to work their way in. July not long ago was ~6%. LOL they have had a couple of weeks to make their way in.

It's been on the BBC news, saying it's gone up this last month, but **** me, they put a spin on it "didn't go up as much as expected". Why expect it to go up when it's been steadily dropping? Did something happen in the UK in the last month which affected things?

See post #19

Sponsored Links
Back