That is incredibly ugly

That's only a workhorse

Ditto, mine.
Which is what most driving actually needs, and modern cars (EVs especially) fit that bill soooooo much better than "charismatic" older cars......

Then I can get myself something large, thirsty and impractical for the weekends.

You missed out unreliable, and uncomfortable ;)

Bonnet up, letting the engine cool while hoping to flag down a passing samaritan: "What a great weekend!", you'll (not) be able to say :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Then I can get myself something large, thirsty and impractical for the weekends.
I used to have two of those, for the occasional weekend.
Built for the American military in the early 'forties, weighing between 3 & 4 tons consuming 'proper' petrol at the rate of between 8 & 12 mpg.

You missed out unreliable, and uncomfortable ;)

Bonnet up, letting the engine cool while hoping to flag down a passing samaritan: "What a great weekend!", you'll (not) be able to say :ROFLMAO:

There is nothing uncomfortable about the leather bench and huge arm rest seat of a Rover 100. Or come to think of it, nothing unreliable either.

In fact it's more comfortable than some modern German stuff with rock hard seats.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing uncomfortable about the leather bench and huge arm rest seat of a Rover 100. Or come to think of it, nothing unreliable either.

In fact it's more comfortable than some modern German stuff with rock hard seats.

You're correct of course: the roads are clogged up with Rovers, such is their lasting excellence in all depts (y)

You're correct of course: the roads are clogged up with Rovers, such is their lasting excellence in all depts (y)

Are you're sure we're talking about the same era? This was well before BL took over. Decades in fact. The quality and refinement of their cars was above most other marques.

Last edited:
Indeed, I drool over the prospect of a 968 cargo but for me the purchase price of a good one today is un-attainable & I'm not into restorations.

Mine were a Dodge ambulance & a Chev. truck, totally reliable if you looked after them.

My father used to teach driving in Diamonds and other big trucks in the REME in the 50s. I imagine they would take a bit of getting used to. Maintained them as well. Also used to parachute Willys jeeps out of aircraft.

Are you're sure we're talking about the same era? This was well before BL took over. Decades in fact. The quality and refinement of their cars was above most other marques.

There were two/three good Rover eras - When Rover were an independent company, pre-BL, then later when BMW were involved, before the shutdown. They were that good in that later period, BMW were keen to prevent them from competing. During the BMW time, they were BMW in all, but name - so many of the parts, were BMW.

, then later when BMW were involved, before the shutdown. They were that good in that later period, BMW were keen to prevent them from competing. During the BMW time, they were BMW in all, but name - so many of the parts, were BMW.

Agree with that. Incidentally, my friend has just bought a 75 from a deceased estate. 2002 2.0 V6, 40,000 miles, one owner in light metallic Moonstone green. It's a fantastic looking car, condition is like new and I'm quite envious of it.

Yes, the BL era between being independent and BMW ownership was a definite low point - even if the SD1 is a desirable car. When they were working (suppose that could apply equally to the cars as much as the blokes on the line and Longbridge).

But my point still stands. They might have been better - much better - than their "peers" yet, even the best that the past has to offer pales against even "meh" stuff of the present day.

Agree with that. Incidentally, my friend has just bought a 75 from a deceased estate. 2002 2.0 V6, 40,000 miles, one owner in light metallic Moonstone green. It's a fantastic looking car, condition is like new and I'm quite envious of it.

Build quality, was absolutely superb, and very tough cars. You can jack a corner up, without any noticeable body distortion. Mine is like new too, not a trace of rust to be found anywhere on it, apart from the rear arms, which it seems were fitted after the body was rust-proofed, missing the rust proofing. I had them sorted three years ago. Mine, is the BMW diesel version, fitted with every option - where I had the ECU reprogrammed, to boost the BHP. In factory BHP, I didn't feel safe, pulling out, being a heavy car, it was so slow to pick-up. Modified, it will compete with most cars, off the blocks. A very long-legged cruiser, but I hate driving it in built-up areas, the clutch, is incredibly heavy.

There are several well-supported owner groups, with a lot of expertise.

But my point still stands. They might have been better - much better - than their "peers" yet, even the best that the past has to offer pales against even "meh" stuff of the present day.

In some respects, but how many will still be around in 50 or 60 years, legislation not withstanding? When the electrics and complex electronic gearboxes, etc, etc start playing up they won't be viable.

In some respects, but how many will still be around in 50 or 60 years, legislation not withstanding? When the electrics and complex electronic gearboxes, etc, etc start playing up they won't be viable.

That's not relevant, as you're trying to compare apples and coconuts.
Your "classic" car will be even more antiquated, expensive, require even more fettling, and still be impractical: it'll still be a toy, an indulgence.
The modern car that you're pooh-poohing is not intended to be a toy: it is just a tool and, even at that, knocks your "classic" into a cocked hat, by most measures.

Sponsored Links
Back