Toilet bowl empty after flush

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a 1/2 blockage & you really need that manhole cover off. It will give you the opportunity to rod both ways up or down the soil pipe.
Agree I need to finally get the manhole cover moving, that is certainly on my to-do list this weekend.
I'm just hoping I can find a way to ease it free and not have to rip it out and replace it

Sponsored Links
I didn't know that you are a drainage engineer Dereekoo.

Andy
Well not a drainage engineer as such but spent working life designing sewage treatment works getting flow from inlet to river discharge through various sized gravity/pumping mains along with all the necessary supporting infrastructure, with a bit of mains drainage and potable water works thrown in along the way. Probably why I try and analyse things based on hydraulic/ mathematical principles but keep an open mind on how others see things and if need be learn from their experience."Every day is a school day"

Well, clearing manholes on a daily basis, when a customer calls me and tells me that all the water in their toilet has gone, I ask them to lift the nearest manhole and every tme they tell me that it is full.

As you say, 'every day is a school day'.

Andy

Well, clearing manholes on a daily basis, when a customer calls me and tells me that all the water in their toilet has gone, I ask them to lift the nearest manhole and every tme they tell me that it is full.

I believe you were being asked to explain the mechanism, that would draw the bowl water out, from the bowl, due to a downstream blockage - assuming the vent was working???

I believe you were being asked to explain the mechanism, that would draw the bowl water out, from the bowl, due to a downstream blockage - assuming the vent was working???
I'm still trying to work out the logic, but I have an issue with my upstairs WC on occasions, (too much paper and it'll block solid), which requires a suitable prod with a plunger to shift. When the blockage goes, and the pan empties, it does cause some gurgling in the adjacent shower, which is connected into the stack at a suitable point below the WC junction. The stack is vented.

My first thought was slight suction, as the plug of waste and water fills the stack and pulls the air behind it, but then the stack is open to atmosphere, top is clear, so no reason why it shouldn't allow free passage of air behind the water.

Funny old things, drains.

My first thought was slight suction, as the plug of waste and water fills the stack and pulls the air behind it, but then the stack is open to atmosphere, top is clear, so no reason why it shouldn't allow free passage of air behind the water.

How about - shower entering below the toilet entry, two plugs of material, gap between and the two plugs acting like pistons. The first one will accelerate quicker than the one above it, forming a slight vacuum, between them. The gurgle, being the vacuuming of the shower trap?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back