Track saw - worthy investment?

Am I right in saying this (TS55R) is the latest version of the saw and associated guide rail, incidentally does the guide rail pack come as two 1400mm lengths? (1400/2?)
The TS55R is the latest version. Unless you intend to undercut doors (laminate flooring, etc) I don't see a lot of difference between that and the earlier TS55. As others have said the FS 1400/2 is the current version of the 1400mm track. Festool moved to their second generation track (the /2 bit) about 8 or 9 years ago. The main difference is that it requires a PAIR of joiners rather than the single joiner of the original track system.

A point about tracks: there are at least three alternative suppliers of compatible tracks: Protool (who are owned by TTI, Festool's parent company), Makita (the track for the SP6000K is compatible, and cheaper - check out their 3 metre track), Metabo (who's KSE55 Vario Plus saw uses a compatible track) and Hilti (which has a cut out at the start of the track to accommodate their saws). There's also a guy over on eBay Germany (search for "Führungsschiene" or Alu-Führungsschiene) who sells compatible tracks, although the carriage might put that out and I don't know how competitive he really is these days

On your advice about the working environment, I have looked on youtube and I think the first step is to construct a box section sacrificial table like this 'dude'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4VTxEGyU0Y[url]
Nice if you have the time and are static, but that's a heck of a lot of weight to lug around, not to mention a lot of space in the back of the van which is why I don't bother (you've got to remember that Americans tend to have dirty great pick-ups with 8 to 10 ft beds and 6 ltr plus engines - I drive something a lot smaller). I generally just cadge-up 3 no. x 6 or 7ft lengths of CLS for the tops of my folding trestles and I'm away

Sponsored Links
Am I right in saying this (TS55R) is the latest version of the saw and associated guide rail, incidentally does the guide rail pack come as two 1400mm lengths? (1400/2?)
The TS55R is the latest version. Unless you intend to undercut doors (laminate flooring, etc) I don't see a lot of difference between that and the earlier TS55. As others have said the FS 1400/2 is the current version of the 1400mm track. Festool moved to their second generation track (the /2 bit) about 8 or 9 years ago. The main difference is that it requires a PAIR of joiners rather than the single joiner of the original track system.

A point about tracks: there are at least three alternative suppliers of compatible tracks: Protool (who are owned by TTI, Festool's parent company), Makita (the track for the SP6000K is compatible, and cheaper - check out their 3 metre track), Metabo (who's KSE55 Vario Plus saw uses a compatible track) and Hilti (which has a cut out at the start of the track to accommodate their saws). There's also a guy over on eBay Germany (search for "Führungsschiene" or Alu-Führungsschiene) who sells compatible tracks, although the carriage might put that out and I don't know how competitive he really is these days

On your advice about the working environment, I have looked on youtube and I think the first step is to construct a box section sacrificial table like this 'dude'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4VTxEGyU0Y[url]
Nice if you have the time and are static, but that's a heck of a lot of weight to lug around, not to mention a lot of space in the back of the van which is why I don't bother (you've got to remember that Americans tend to have dirty great pick-ups with 8 to 10 ft beds and 6 ltr plus engines - I drive something a lot smaller). I generally just cadge-up 3 no. x 6 or 7ft lengths of CLS for the tops of my folding trestles and I'm away

Again I cannot fault the level of advice on this forum. Thank you. I am static and have a two large rooms to panel (the work is actually to my own house) so I think its worth the time invested as the table will stay in my developing workshop. I take your point about those pick up trucks, there is often one parked in my local Tescos taking up 2 spaces lengthways and 1.5 sideways!

Sponsored Links
I take your point about those pick up trucks, there is often one parked in my local Tescos taking up 2 spaces lengthways and 1.5 sideways!
I knew they were big but a few years ago when I was in the States (visiting relatives) I met a cousin who worked for a utility company and ran her own (yes, HER) Dodge Ram - bright red, crew cab, something like an 8ft bed at the back, twin rears and an 8 ltr V-10 engine that did 9mpg US (might not be right on all that, but it was a massive V-10 under the bonnet and sounded tremendous - downrated Viper engine, apparently). Made the jumped up "builders specials" I see round here at times with "Animal" or "No Fear" on the back look just a wee bit sad (if that is anyone reading this, then tough!). I'm almost sure I could have parked my mucker Derek's Ka van in the pickup with room to spare!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back