Unvented cylinder not providing hot water to sinks,only showers

Hi John, no idea. What should I be looking for?

We have a water softener too that feeds the cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of this softner with all attached pipework, it might include a PRV something like the one below.
Also, in your LH photo, post #1 you will see the cold water inlet right at the bottom of the cylinder, it has a drain cock on it, follow this back and see if it also has a PRV.

Attachments

• PRV combination Set.jpg
    PRV combination Set.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3
Indeed it does have a prv when I follow the cold water inlet, pic attached.

There's nothing at the water softener end.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20241003_080748.jpg
    20241003_080748.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 10
You have a balanced cold off that combination valve set.
Where I have marked "cold mains cold feed", see if there is a isolating lever valve a bit further back between it and the water softener, if so, close it and then check for no cold water from any of the mixer valves.

Attachments

• PRV rado16V.jpg
    PRV rado16V.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Thanks
Reactions: DP
Sponsored Links
Ok I found and closed it. It's by the water softener and stops all the cold water in all the taps. This time the kitchen tap was hot and did not dip. I guess that would make sense as there's no cold water at all in any of the taps now, in the kitchen we have a filter type tap for just drinking water from the mains.

Where you have balanced cold, that pipe goes to an isolating valve

The valve you closed supplies the water to the cylinder so once shut then you shouldn't have hot or cold (balanced) water, you might get a few litres of hot water for a few minutes. Any way reopen this valve and shut the balanced cold isol valve and turn each mixer to fully cold and check that no water flows from them.

I closed the mains cold water feed and ran all taps until hot and cold water stopped, about 5mins.

I then shut all the taps, opened the mains cold water feed and closed the balanced cold feed and ran cold water only on all the taps and they all are running cold water and no signs of stopping.

Does this mean bad prv?

Last edited:
No, nothing to do with the PRV.
IF the isol valve is on the balanced cold after the PRV and (the isol valve ) not passing then it can only mean that none of those taps is fed from that balanced main.

Attachments

• PRV rado16V rev1.jpg
    PRV rado16V rev1.jpg
    489.2 KB · Views: 8
Some more pics, yes the isolating valve is on the balanced cold pipe with red handle.

Attachments

• 20241003_163631.jpg
    20241003_163631.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20241003_163606.jpg
    20241003_163606.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 10
Maybe this balanced cold just supplies the shower?, shut the isol valve again and select the shower to fully cold and then fully hot and see what happens.
There is, what looks like a ABV, automatic bypass valve just to the left of that isol valve handle, this should have nothing to do with the hot or cold water and is probably on the primary boiler HW, just identify it.

Turned off that isolator and let the showers run, hot and cold and didn't see any difference. The hot runs hot and cold runs cold, no difference in pressure or flow

So, the balanced cold doesn't seem to supply either the shower or the taps but the supply to them is taken off after the softener, I can only suggest you try and find this take off and also trace the balanced cold back to see what its serving, if anything. Or else the balanced cold isolating valve isn't isolating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back