USB Flash Stick As Backup

Honestly an external USB SSD drive is a waste of money, Why.. Well SSD's are extremely fast But you are limited to the speed of the USB port/interface, which is a LOT slower than being plugged into the motherboard, Also how often are you going to use it (For backups etc)
I would always recommend a Hard drive (Rust Disk (Mechanical)) You can get a 1TB / 2TB USB external drive for about £30 / £40

As for that advert for a 1TB/2TB Usb pen Its a Con Expect to pay at least £90 to £140 for one (1TB) (If you can find one)
Most 98% of the fake pens are only 32gb with the info track edited to say more. (Its a bit more complicated than that)

List of USB Port Speeds
USB 1.1Full Speed USB12 Mbps
USB 2.0Hi-Speed USB480 Mbps
USB 3.2 Gen 1USB 3.0 USB 3.1 Gen 1 SuperSpeed5 Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 2USB 3.1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 SuperSpeed+ SuperSpeed 10Gbps10 Gbps

USB 3.2 Gen has only been released recently and the Drive interface has to be the same to get 10gbps

SSDs can perform speeds approx up to 500 MB/s

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
Honestly an external USB SSD drive is a waste of money, Why.. Well SSD's are extremely fast But you are limited to the speed of the USB port/interface, which is a LOT slower than being plugged into the motherboard, Also how often are you going to use it (For backups etc)
I would always recommend a Hard drive (Rust Disk (Mechanical)) You can get a 1TB / 2TB USB external drive for about £30 / £40

As for that advert for a 1TB/2TB Usb pen Its a Con Expect to pay at least £90 to £140 for one (1TB) (If you can find one)
Most 98% of the fake pens are only 32gb with the info track edited to say more. (Its a bit more complicated than that)

List of USB Port Speeds
USB 1.1Full Speed USB12 Mbps
USB 2.0Hi-Speed USB480 Mbps
USB 3.2 Gen 1USB 3.0 USB 3.1 Gen 1 SuperSpeed5 Gbps
USB 3.2 Gen 2USB 3.1 USB 3.1 Gen 2 SuperSpeed+ SuperSpeed 10Gbps10 Gbps

USB 3.2 Gen has only been released recently and the Drive interface has to be the same to get 10gbps

SSDs can perform speeds approx up to 500 MB/s

Fair enough. I'm not so worried about speed as just creating a backup archive in case my original gets destroyed.
Only reason I was thinking about ssd as there's no moving parts, hence have better longevity.
Plan would be to write to it once to fill it up with my photos etc and store away.
Unless mechanical hdds can be as reliable long term?

Sponsored Links
Back