Using the central heating / immersion circuit for a different purpose??

To get back to my uncertainty re. how to dry those darn towels ..... it's been suggested by the good lady here that a heated towel rail in the bathroom would be the glaringly obvious answer rather than the airing cupboard

Personally, I wouldn't want to dry wet anything, in an enclosed space, it's a recipe for mould. We do have a traditional airing cupboard, with hot water cistern in it, but it is never used for drying anything wet, rather we use it to store dry items and keep the aired.

Sponsored Links
I think collage lecturers can make a huge difference to the thinking of local electricians, if they give reasons to their students showing why something should be done, new practices can start in the area and student report back to their masters.

The guy who locally did the C&G 2391 etc, would tell students to test for figure of 8 with ring finals, I have looked at BS7671 and can't find anything to say should not have a fig of 8, but that one lecturer got everyone testing for a fig of 8.
Yes indeed, on both points there Eric.

Ref Fig 8 Yes again, in fact I remember one asking why not a fig 8 , it was explained that basically we had no control (or less control) over where the current might flow so could have the same disadvantages of the spur on spur like scenario, whilst this appeased some and they didn`t think about if further I saw that some where baffled and tried to theorise it a bit more.

It was then that I first I tossed a hand grenade in - rebel that I am - what's wrong with two rings as one circuit , oh and how that did cause 2, 4 or 5 different factions, all sorts of statements and misconceptions abounded and they still do so today, I do bring it up now and again and still get pretty much the same reactions. In fact you can see some conspiring to find multiple different ways to "prove" non compliance, more so with any of the NICEIC approved contractors. All good fun ;)

Thanks to Harry ... although we have been drying our three shower towels in the cupboard for 18 years without issue - but I do keep the door ajar to let air come and go and it successfully does the job. However I can see that a dual fuel toel rail (central heating water plus an electric element) in the bathroom would be sensible.

I can't speak to the installers who are fitting the new boiler just at the moment so can't ask if his fitters are qualified to take care of the electrical side but am a bit concerned by the restrictions and implications of fitting such a device 200mm from the end of the bath even though it would be IP55.

With regard to the posts by ericmark and ebee ... I don't think they're of much /any relevance to the thread.

Thanks again.

I clarify the last point by saying the towel rail would be 200mm from the end of the bath but is rated as IP55 which I believe permits it to be so close to the bath.
No. It is permitted because it is a towel rail.

Only electrical accessories are subject to the zone restrictions; e.g. no switches within 600mm. or sockets within 2.5m. etc.

Sponsored Links
With regard to the posts by ericmark and ebee ... I don't think they're of much /any relevance to the thread.
I`ll accept blame for that one - I can easily go off track on threads so very sorry it is not deliberate it is my habit that sometimes irks folk . Many apologies, it was nothing personal

I`ll accept blame for that one - I can easily go off track on threads so very sorry it is not deliberate it is my habit that sometimes irks folk . Many apologies, it was nothing personal

Right you are, ebee, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back