Visiting France

If you rely on your phone for satnav, check your data charging rates on roaming before you leave.
I hadn't thought of that. But I don't know how much data satnav uses, and I can't easily tell from my contract the cost of data. I'll probably use other options.

Sponsored Links
I hadn't thought of that. But I don't know how much data satnav uses, and I can't easily tell from my contract the cost of data. I'll probably use other options.
If you have to pay for data on roaming, it can be as much as £1 or £2 per trip, for using your satnav on your phone.

Sponsored Links
Get a toll tag, speeds the process up

Please tell me more. Are they available to non residents? Do they make sense for irregular, short trips or only if living there and using autoroutes frequently?

Toll booths are a pain if driving RHD. Even if it's a van where I can slide across the seats without needing to get out. A tag would presumably stop the need for this?

If you have to pay for data on roaming, it can be as much as £1 or £2 per trip, for using your satnav on your phone.
Thanks, but is a trip one session, to destination, or what? I'm with Tesco Pay-as-you-go, they might do a better bundle but I never got round to changing.

Please tell me more. Are they available to non residents? Do they make sense for irregular, short trips or only if living there and using autoroutes frequently?

Toll booths are a pain if driving RHD. Even if it's a van where I can slide across the seats without needing to get out. A tag would presumably stop the need for this?
Had a look on the web, and Ulys seemed the best deal. I tried to get one, got to the paynent stage and it wouldn't go any further. It probably wouldn't be delivered before I leave anyway, but I'll get one for my next trip.

Edit - Toll booths are a pain if driving RHD. Even if it's a van where I can slide across the seats without needing to get out. A tag would presumably stop the need for this? Yes, no problem there.

Last edited:
Thanks, but is a trip one session, to destination, or what? I'm with Tesco Pay-as-you-go, they might do a better bundle but I never got round to changing.
Yes, one trip, one drive from point A to B.
If you are liable to pay for roaming data charges there are short stay SIMs available which are probably cheaper than paying charges on your regular UK SIM.

Yes, they're available to non french residents. I'm on my second one in 13 years, batteries last 10 years. They only cost about 10 euros. They sit behind your rear view mirror on the screen and as you approach the tolls they beep and up comes the barrier. Toll fee is added to your invoice and they direct debit at the end of the month.

Very easy and you can whizz through the "t" tolls rather than the cash ones with people queuing up. Very speedy and simple.

Also worth noting is that some cities now have clean air zones and you will require a crit air sticker for your vehicle, about 7 euros. If you don't have one then fines can be high

Yes, they're available to non french residents. I'm on my second one in 13 years, batteries last 10 years. They only cost about 10 euros. They sit behind your rear view mirror on the screen and as you approach the tolls they beep and up comes the barrier. Toll fee is added to your invoice and they direct debit at the end of the month.

Very easy and you can whizz through the "t" tolls rather than the cash ones with people queuing up. Very speedy and simple.

Also worth noting is that some cities now have clean air zones and you will require a crit air sticker for your vehicle, about 7 euros. If you don't have one then fines can be high
Which one did you get? There's quite a choice on the web

Which one did you get? There's quite a choice on the web

i've always used this one. Customer service is good if you need it and they just send you an invoice prior to direct debit. I've used that all over france.

Thanks for your reply. After one booth ate my valid credit card, I'm seriously considering it. No more frantically sliding across the van's seats either - I did drop a couple of coins doing this recently. Apparently the cheapest tag systems are available to those with Euro bank accounts, so may wait until I get one of those. I suppose they charge more fees for conversion from GBP, plus you poss lose a bit more in the currency conversion.

Thanks for the Crit air warning. Not too worried at present as I'm more interested in being in the sticks, small towns - mainly Lot And Garonne, to the west of Cahors up to the south of Dordogne. Biggest town I've driven in was Bergerac which doesn't have Critair. Similarly with Limoges which I have to visit next trip. I suppose the nature of these things is that the cities needing the sticker will increase in time.

Crit is so cheap, it's not worth thinking about it IMHO.
Get one, then drive wherever and whenever with one less thing to think about.

Sponsored Links
Back