Visiting France

Sponsored Links
Probably no point, as I drive an oil burner. Very few places where Crit air applies anyway.

More places than you would think, and the facility to introduce temporary zones even with weather changes.

For less than a fiver (for the lifetime of your windscreen), I personally wouldn't hesitate about getting one.

More places than you would think, and the facility to introduce temporary zones even with weather changes.

For less than a fiver (for the lifetime of your windscreen), I personally wouldn't hesitate about getting one.
My exact thoughts too.

Sponsored Links
But I don't know how much data satnav uses, and I can't easily tell from my contract the cost of data. I'll probably use other options.
For some reason, I had privileges removed from this thread but now restored!

If you use Google maps on your phone, you can download whole areas for free so no data is needed when using. Only slight drawback is that your route wont be adjusted if circumstances change - I.e. traffic hold-ups etc.

For some reason, I had privileges removed from this thread but now restored!

If you use Google maps on your phone, you can download whole areas for free so no data is needed when using. Only slight drawback is that your route wont be adjusted if circumstances change - I.e. traffic hold-ups etc.
How do you do that? I use Android Auto, but it must talk to google as when I save a place on my phone (out of the car) when I connect it and open Android Auto the place is saved there as well.
I'm hoping not to need it though as the built-in or TomTom should do the biz

i've always used this one. Customer service is good if you need it and they just send you an invoice prior to direct debit. I've used that all over france.

This ATMB one is the best deal. Have had one for a few years now

I didn't have time to register for a tag, but if anybody's interested I had an experience trying to pay (cash or card). On the A29 going north from Honfleur, got the ticket OK at the first booth but when I tried to pay when leaving, the machine wouldn't take it. There was a voice instruction in French, too quick to follow, but that wasn't the problem, I knew what to do, but it wouldn't work. There were also help buttons for French, English or German but no answer when I tried that. I reversed and tried several booths but no joy. A couple of guys tried to help, but they couldn't understand what was wrong. Some other drivers were also having a problem, but they all got through eventually. Needless to say, there were no human operatives available.
In the end I waited near one of the tag lanes, and when an HGV came I tailgated him and got through! Reasoned that the machine wouldn't distinguish my car from a trailer he might have been pulling, and it worked. A somewhat stressful half-hour.

Yes they are signed, but maybe not all. It's a blanket kind of limit now for roads without central dividing barriers and single lanes.
Going into any sort of built-up area the car nav screen showed speed limit 70 kph (43 mph), then 50 kph (31 mph) but nothing on the road to tell you. I don't remember that from previous trips, must have changed. No problem in a modernish car, but otherwise you'd have to be careful.
That said, I didn't see much in the way of enforcement.

I didn't have time to register for a tag, but if anybody's interested I had an experience trying to pay (cash or card). On the A29 going north from Honfleur, got the ticket OK at the first booth but when I tried to pay when leaving, the machine wouldn't take it. There was a voice instruction in French, too quick to follow, but that wasn't the problem, I knew what to do, but it wouldn't work. There were also help buttons for French, English or German but no answer when I tried that. I reversed and tried several booths but no joy. A couple of guys tried to help, but they couldn't understand what was wrong. Some other drivers were also having a problem, but they all got through eventually. Needless to say, there were no human operatives available.
In the end I waited near one of the tag lanes, and when an HGV came I tailgated him and got through! Reasoned that the machine wouldn't distinguish my car from a trailer he might have been pulling, and it worked. A somewhat stressful half-hour.
I’ve been ok when using tolls in France. I’ve either had Mrs Mottie in the passenger seat using a card to pay out of her window or I’ve been on my bike so able to put my card in myself. I could see it being a pain for a lone driver in a RHD car though. Some of them you pay on entering the motorway, others you take a ticket and pay when you leave the motorway.

I was advised to not use cards, as the machines have a habit of swallowing them.

Not much use to you on holiday, a card in a toll machine.

I’ve been ok when using tolls in France. I’ve either had Mrs Mottie in the passenger seat using a card to pay out of her window or I’ve been on my bike so able to put my card in myself. I could see it being a pain for a lone driver in a RHD car though. Some of them you pay on entering the motorway, others you take a ticket and pay when you leave the motorway.
I got out of the car and put the ticket in the slot, it made an encouraging noise but didn't pull the ticket in. Tried it every way round, naturally. I've wondered since whether I should have driven further forward before getting out of the car, but I doubt it would have helped.
The first section I paid on entry, €5-90, after that it was take a ticket.

Going into any sort of built-up area the car nav screen showed speed limit 70 kph (43 mph), then 50 kph (31 mph) but nothing on the road to tell you. I don't remember that from previous trips, must have changed. No problem in a modernish car, but otherwise you'd have to be careful.
That said, I didn't see much in the way of enforcement
70 is usually signposted. When entering an agglomeration (built-up area), IE when you pass the name of the town which is on a sign surrounded by red border, the limit is automatically 50kph. No sign to tell you. Then it's no longer 50 when you leave the town, marked by the sign of the name with the line through it. Similar to our system which is 30mph on roads with a system of streetlights. (But ours do usually have a 30 sign when entering them)

Sponsored Links
Back