Water butt - those 200L ex-commercial barrels question

Sponsored Links
I never empty any of the water storage. So when it's really cold an ibc will freeze entirely, 1 tonne ice block!

Is it expected that one drains down one's water butts at the start of winter? I would have to disconnect mine if they're not supposed to have water in in winter, that's going to be a bit of a faff.

I heard said, that floating tennis balls on the surface, helps.

I have just fired up, the automatic water-system, which I installed last year, to irrigate the garden border.

Here's another use for the drums, you make the 'pockets' by cutting a slot, heating it, ramming a glass bottle in
This looks great - what do you heat the plastic with to make it soft enough?

Sponsored Links
Hi,
This is great for recycling.
I found one of these drums in the road, and it will store cement and other 'keep dry' bags for a long time.
C
Drum.jpg

This looks great - what do you heat the plastic with to make it soft enough?
As above, heat gun, each hole needs a lot of heat, a gas blow torch would be faster if you had one.
Cut the slots with a circular saw, or angle grinder if you were really stuck.
Sometimes easier to start with a small prybar before the bottle.
You want bottles with a tapered neck, I don't drink wine so it was glass irn bru bottles for me! The bottles need to be left in until the plastic cools, so the more the merrier, and I used water to aid cooling.
Mine have 40 pockets each, 5 high, 8 per row, evenly spaced. First drum took ages, second one was half the time once I had it sussed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back