Water meets leccy...

to get something built on a piece of waste land then start making money. But maybe I'm just a cynic.
Not a cynic but a realist.

My aunt and uncle were eager to move into their new built house but the builder said they had to wait months until it had dried out naturally and then de-snagged. But that was back in the early 1950's when things were a lot better and most tradesmen took pride in their work.

Sponsored Links
Whilst the installation isn't the best, there's nothing actually wrong with it.
First, that's not an extension lead, it's a patress box with a socket in it. Actually, a double socket - I can see 2 flexes.

What we can't see is how it's supplied, but even if it is via a plug to another socket and therefore not fixed wiring, if it was done by the electrician as part of the installation it contravenes 134.1.1.

The fact that the operation of the single RCD forced them to have to find somewhere else to sleep means that the inconvenience caused leads to a contravention of 314.1.

Whoever signed the EIC lied, and that is a criminal offence for a new build in England.

Thanks for that.

They've also discovered that there's no hot water supply to the shower. The hot basin and bath taps work, but nothing comes out of the shower except cold water. Given that there is hot water to the rest of the bathroom, it may be something simple like an isolating valve that hasn't been opened after fitting, with luck.

They managed to get some of the power back on this morning by isolating the washing machine and dishwasher--which are on the same breaker-- but their confidence in the house will take a lot longer to repair.

I think they're considering vacating the place for a couple of weeks and telling the agent/ landlord to get all the problems fixed before they move back in.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

They've also discovered that there's no hot water supply to the shower. The hot basin and bath taps work, but nothing comes out of the shower except cold water. Given that there is hot water to the rest of the bathroom, it may be something simple like an isolating valve that hasn't been opened after fitting, with luck.

They managed to get some of the power back on this morning by isolating the washing machine and dishwasher--which are on the same breaker-- but their confidence in the house will take a lot longer to repair.

I think they're considering vacating the place for a couple of weeks and telling the agent/ landlord to get all the problems fixed before they move back in.

Has the rcd or mcb tripped that feeds the shower?

Is there a pull switch which requires pulling?
You folk seem to be assuming it's an electric shower, but since the OP wrote:
They've also discovered that there's no hot water supply to the shower. .... it may be something simple like an isolating valve that hasn't been opened after fitting, with luck.
...I suspect that it probably isn't - in which case there will presumably be no RCD, MCB or pull switch :)

Kind Regards, John

Is there a pull switch which requires pulling?
You folk seem to be assuming it's an electric shower, but since the OP wrote:
They've also discovered that there's no hot water supply to the shower. .... it may be something simple like an isolating valve that hasn't been opened after fitting, with luck.
...I suspect that it probably isn't - in which case there will presumably be no RCD, MCB or pull switch :)

Kind Regards, John

I thought that after I wrote it. :rolleyes:

I guess you wouldn't get any water if there was no power.

Just to clarify....its not an electric shower. :0)

List of snags so far: the above inconvenient juxtaposition of water and leccy, shower with no hot water, mastic around the bath already splitting, leaking radiator in kitchen, no TV aerial, cooker hood not working, finishing off required on the pavement outside. The back door is stiff to lock, but I think this could be sorted with a generous application of 3 in 1 spray. Oh yes, and the extractor fan by the kitchen door refuses to work, no matter how many switches you hit or cords you pull.

No doubt other horrors lurk, yet to be discovered.

Nothing like good old British workmanship.

Just to clarify....its not an electric shower. :0)
As I said, I thought as much!
Nothing like good old British workmanship.
There was (usually!) absolutely nothing wrong with 'old British workmanship'. It's 'new British workmanship' which, unfortunately, does not always live up to the standards of the past.

Kind Regards, John

It's 'new British workmanship' which, unfortunately, does not always live up to the standards of the past.
Wont be new forever, british workmanship is british workmanship, and at present somewhat sadly and without wishing to tar all with the same brush, a lot of a sucks.

Daniel

A somewhat scattergun comment, I admit.

Maybe I should have said "British workmanship in accordance with the schedules dictated by TV home makeover programmes."

It's 'new British workmanship' which, unfortunately, does not always live up to the standards of the past.
Wont be new forever, british workmanship is british workmanship, and at present somewhat sadly and without wishing to tar all with the same brush, a lot of a sucks.
If you want to be pedantic, for "new British workmanship", please read something like "current/recent British workmanship".

I'm sure that you understood my point. In the past (certainly pre-WWII), the standard of the vast majority of British workmanship was extremely high - and 'policed' primarily by pride, not regulation.

Kind Regards, John.

Dont know if im being silly but is it against any regs of some sort for using a pattress box as an extension lead? dont they need cord grips?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back