What’s the correct cable for switched live extractor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m replacing an inline manrose extractor in my parents loft space - existing wiring is mostly ok to a junction box, but they’ve previously used 4 core T(riple)&E into the fan unit and it’s not a great fit - it also looks like the terminals are designed for stranded flex rather than solid cores?

I’m aware that using the CPC in T&E is forbidden, but does the same apply to a short stretch of flex, if clearly sleeved brown at both ends?

What other options are there without purchasing a whole length of 4 core flex, which will be bulky, have a pointless CPC, and sit on a shelf in my workshop forever?

Thanks
image.jpg
4BA76C7B-D27D-4F81-875B-F355BB5FBCB8.jpeg
325EE1C2-715C-498F-8B5C-300564F8C4CA.jpeg
AFE8FCBA-70DB-4A27-8CFB-11D67C6E912A.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
3 core and earth is what you have and its the correct cable to use, it does look big though (maybe 1.5mm hard to tell), maybe swap it for 1mm.

I’m replacing an inline manrose extractor in my parents loft space - existing wiring is mostly ok to a junction box, but they’ve previously used 4 core T&E into the fan unit and it’s not a great fit - it also looks like the terminals are designed for stranded flex rather than solid cores?
Either flex or the existing solid should be fine. As above, it looks like 1.5mm, but the cable clamp next to the fan term block should solve that issue.
Nobody's going to check if you take an unauthorised route though.......

Sponsored Links
Oversleeving the Green/Yellow of flex to use as live was technically allowed at one time, but was always considered rough as, plus there was still a requirement to have a CPC provided at the equipment even if it didn't need one. Its now changed and the prohibition on doing so now extended to all cable types not just unsheathed conductors in containment (doing it with the e in t/e is and always was, not-allowed due to the fact that it is un-insulated - and is a much more serious non-compliance than oversleeving an insulated conductor)

I’m replacing an inline manrose extractor in my parents loft space - existing wiring is mostly ok to a junction box, but they’ve previously used 4 core T&E into the fan unit and it’s not a great fit - it also looks like the terminals are designed for stranded flex rather than solid cores?

I’m aware that using the CPC in T&E is forbidden, but does the same apply to a short stretch of flex, if clearly sleeved brown at both ends?

What other options are there without purchasing a whole length of 4 core flex, which will be bulky, have a pointless CPC, and sit on a shelf in my workshop forever?

Thanks View attachment 358785View attachment 358786View attachment 358787View attachment 358788
No such thing as 4 core TWIN & Earth.

I mean… I could have gone to the trouble of stating 6243… but frankly writing 4 core T&E was just lazy shorthand which I was fairly certain everyone on here would be able to quickly read and differentiate from, for instance, flex.
I’ve learned my lesson on that count though. It won’t happen again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back