What Scam Calls Have You Had Today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a call this morning.

It came up as "ITutorPlus" in red.

My screen said "SCAM".

So I picked it up and said "Ian's Pizza Parlour, what would you like to order today?"

There was a slight hesitation and she started, "The SIM card that you have in your phone is going to be blocked right now...."

"Ian's Pizza Parlour, what would you like to order today?"

"The SIM card that you have in your phone is going to be blocked RIGHT NOW...."

"We have a great deal on 12" Pepperoni and 1.5l drink, would you like to order?"

"Errr....No."

"OK, thanks for calling!"

Next time, I get a scam call, I'm going to be trying to order a pizza from them!

Sponsored Links
Never answer scam calls. They know your number is live and will sell it on or list as live.
That's unless you like to wind them up

I had one on the land line a couple of months ago. The conversation was started with "This is the bank......." Having had a real call from my bank years ago when my debit card had been cloned I find it hard to understand why people fall for this sort of thing.

A different type of problem is going on currently. Nuisance phone calls. As previously it appears to be related to giving a carrier my phone number. In this case a washing machine off AO so thought use of the actual number would be ok.

Sponsored Links
I went through a spell of watching YT vids of folk who are great at winding up scam callers. One was a guy who used to get into lengthy conversations with scammers who pertained to be from Microsoft etc. He had a standalone PC used for his trickery and would keep them talking whilst hacking into their computer and deleting files :)

Then you'd witness the audacity of the scammer getting angry with HIM for hacking them!!!

Great stuff. They're scum of the highest order.

I never give my mobile to any company at all. If ordering something, poss online, where they insist on a mobile I give a wrong number. I never get any unsolicited nuisance, scam or marketing calls. Trouble is, more you give your number out, the worse the problem gets because your number will be sold on.

Most unrecognised calls go to voicemail, and the scammers seem to recognise the bleep and hang up.

I had a scam call yesterday, which I did not answer, saying my credit card ws going to be suspended because of suspicious transactions.

Never answer scam calls. They know your number is live and will sell it on or list as live.
That's unless you like to wind them up

That's if you know it's a Scam call.

The local hospital for one, withholds its number, as does a licencing authority I deal with.

So be careful of whom you dismiss.

I had one on the land line a couple of months ago. The conversation was started with "This is the bank......." Having had a real call from my bank years ago when my debit card had been cloned I find it hard to understand why people fall for this sort of thing.
Now, I have a real problem with this. A few times, banks and pension companies have rung me up and asked me to confirm details.

They (of all firms) are gobsmacked when I say to them that I have absolutely no idea of knowing if they are genuine. They don't seem to realise.

I tell them that it is perfectly reasonable in this day and age for customers to demand staff of organisations ringing them to pass security, just like it has been established practice for customers for a long time.

I am trying to develop a foolproof way of checking these kinds of callers are genuine.

They tell me to check the number, but they are easily spoofed.

I have started asking them what day I was born on.

Granted, there is a one in seven chance they might hit on the right day.
Several people have told me that would breach GDPR. I told them nonsense, there is no way the day you are born on falls under GDPR.

My next question is to make a sum of the account number, ie:

"What is digit number 3 of my account number multiplied by digit number 7, with digit number 2 subtracted from it.

Again, they spout GDPR. There's no way. I ain't having it.

So far, two firms have agreed to do this and have passed security.

There should be a recognised system for customers to verify who they are dealing with on the blower.

I give a wrong number.
That's what I usually do. I also work on the basis that if some one really wants to talk to me they will use the answer phone. Generally the call ends before it kicks in. If particularly annoying I reduce the rings needed. :LOL some stay on the line longer than usual.

The local hospital for one, withholds its number, as does a licencing authority I deal with.
We mostly use our land line which wont accept withheld numbers. The other ends can use outgoing only setups if they wish.

I had a call from Nigel Farage saying he really did care about the British people……..

Now, I have a real problem with this. A few times, banks and pension companies have rung me up and asked me to confirm details.

They (of all firms) are gobsmacked when I say to them that I have absolutely no idea of knowing if they are genuine. They don't seem to realise.

I tell them that it is perfectly reasonable in this day and age for customers to demand staff of organisations ringing them to pass security, just like it has been established practice for customers for a long time.

I am trying to develop a foolproof way of checking these kinds of callers are genuine.

They tell me to check the number, but they are easily spoofed.

I have started asking them what day I was born on.

Granted, there is a one in seven chance they might hit on the right day.
Several people have told me that would breach GDPR. I told them nonsense, there is no way the day you are born on falls under GDPR.

My next question is to make a sum of the account number, ie:

"What is digit number 3 of my account number multiplied by digit number 7, with digit number 2 subtracted from it.

Again, they spout GDPR. There's no way. I ain't having it.

So far, two firms have agreed to do this and have passed security.

There should be a recognised system for customers to verify who they are dealing with on the blower.

In these instances (especially banks), I respectfully decline, and ring them Back (known number) directly from another phone.

By chance, I had one just now. They terminated the call when the voicemail message played.

I always look them up on https://who-called.co.uk/

It was a known scammer so I added the number to my BT blacklist (free).

I get the call about 'you've had an accident ?'

I reply yes I did this morning how did come to you know? I drag it on for a while and then divulge how I crapped myself in the car just before i got home.. it's great you waste my time I'll waste yours.

Sponsored Links
Back