What Scam Calls Have You Had Today?

Sponsored Links
Yay!

Had another today!

It came up as a scam on the screen.

I answered the phone but did not say hello.

After a couple of seconds, a bloke said "Hello?"

I said,

"Hello, can I order some pizzas please?
I'd like 4 12" Margherita and 2 12" Pepperoni pizzas please, with 2 bottles of coke. We're at the Community Centre down the road and we will have the cash ready. The name is Hartley. J R Hartley."

I didn't expect to get it all out without interruption, but I kept going regardless. By the time I got to the J R Hartley bit, he had cleared down.

Avril says she is constantly flooded with the scammers, on her mobile number, and keeps blacking their numbers. Thing is, they never ring back on the same spoofed number, so why bother? Me, I only rarely get them on the mobile, but those who are brave enough, get a barrage of abuse from me - which seems to work. Landline, blocks all unknown caller numbers, unless they are willing to press a certain key, and record their name - which almost never happens, unless the caller is genuine. Hospitals, docs, police etc., are used to these call blockers, and do as requested, to get through - never any issue. The rest are blocked, and just show up in the list of missed callers.

Sponsored Links
I was scammed by an online car history checker a couple of weeks ago...Checkmycar.

They charge £5.95 for a one off check, they then enrol you "unknowingly" into a subscription at a cost £39.80 per month that you can't cancel through them...

I got in touch with my bank, informed them of the scam and asked them to block the payment. The bank replied with "Unfortunately we are unable to stop the payment or future monthly payments as the Subscription is not listed"

To which I replied, "as you aren't taking action against fraud and aren't able to stop the subscription or payment then please can you make me an appointment with my local branch to close my accounts with you, I'm quite sure this will halt the subscription and the fraud" T.I.A.

They have since refunded the payment and are investigating.....

So does the network operator identify suspect calls?

Not sure. It's an Android phone, so it might be Google's doing?

I have Android 13.

Also, I have 2 SIMs in the phone and one is an emergency SIM.

I don't give anyone this number so when it rings, I know it's going to be a scammer, confirmed by the warning on screen as the call is coming in.

But I get scammers on my regular number as well.

Last edited:
I had a real call from HMRC trying to pay me some money back that I thought was a scam.

Sponsored Links
Back