Would a car radiator fan work better if it didnt blow the hot air back on the engine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be more efficient if the air blown through the radiator was diverted away from the engine?
Possibly downwards?

Sponsored Links
No real need for it, Gary.....the engine can take care of itself.
A different story on competition vehicles, where the heat generated can be much higher.
A radiator cowl is a good thing though, so any air is actually sucked through the radiator - depending on how close it is.
John

Would it be more efficient if the air blown through the radiator was diverted away from the engine?
Possibly downwards?
Efficient how?

An engine produces heat as a waste product and needs cooling. Under cooling and over cooling are both issues.

My car is over heating at the moment that's why I ask, I thought it might save me a few bob rather than taking it to the garage.
Maybe I'll just take the bonnet off.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Possibly downwards?
Think of a cooling fan.

What does it do?

It forces air in the direction it's facing, which then cools you down, similar way used in a car cooling system.

Blowing air away from the engine would make the situation worse.

My car is over heating at the moment that's why I ask, I thought it might save me a few bob rather than taking it to the garage.
Maybe I'll just take the bonnet off.
Give us a few clues Gary - and maybe the diynot heroes will come up with something?
John

Thanks, my thought was that at the moment the air is pulled through the radiator, but that hot air is going onto the engine. Surely that's not going to cool the engine as much as having something diverting that hot air downwards?

Part of the problem seems to be that the coolant is getting too hot and bubbling. It may be dumping a bit out from time to time also.

Radiator, radiator cap, thermostat or blown head gasket problem.

What car, age, mileage ?

Has it started suddenly?

Any leaks or fluid losses.

Happy to polish the crystal ball, but I don't know where to look yet.

Haha thanks, 2004 Suzuki igns mk2 1.5 auto around 100k miles.
It overheated some time ago and the temp needle was just on zero. Engine management light came on also, and is still on.
I took it to a garage and they supposedly fixed it.

They said there is a code for a faulty idle air control sensor low voltage, which they did not fix.

It was overheating again a few weeks later and the fan wasn't coming on, so I have fitted a switch to manually switch it on.
Still overheats if I'm racing a Porsche or similar.

I believe there may be different fan speeds so maybe my connection is only a slow setting? not sure.

Engine overheated, but temp gauge needle on zero ?

Circulation problem by sound of it. Need to find out why. As old salt suggested, could be thermostat but I'm suspecting water pump at this stage.

Equally, could be head gasket, especially if it's happened before and got way too hot

Actually I think it was the thermostat they replaced.

Since then the temp needle does move, but its still overheating.

Sponsored Links
Back