Yes, I'm A Sad Git

Many of which we take for granted. Power steering, servo assisted brakes, electric windows, central locking, electrically adjustable door mirrors, heated rear screens to name just a few. Oh, and electric starter motors - any purists want to go back to using a starting handle?
Advance/****** levers on the steering wheel please

Sponsored Links
Poisoning the air, around the school for the pupils, and for the school's neighbours.
The council should just send a CEO round there - slap tickets on all of them. Keep doing it, day after day, school after school, until they get the message.

The teachers could assist - take video footage, and submit it.

Sponsored Links
I can see where you are coming from, certainly for a vehicle used on a regular basis, but my greatest driving experiences have been with vehicles I owned that were built back in the 1940's .. note the emphasis on the D word ;)

Indeed. Of course, in your day, quite a lot more kids got run over as well...

I wouldn't say a lot more, traffic was much lighter back then - maybe due to fewer vehicles on the school run ;)

My primary school, which is still there, a really grand building - we had a policeman seeing everyone across the main road, in front of the school. The rest of the roads, on my route I had to cross, were just minor ones.

I wouldn't say a lot more, traffic was much lighter back then - maybe due to fewer vehicles on the school run ;)

My primary school, which is still there, a really grand building - we had a policeman seeing everyone across the main road, in front of the school. The rest of the roads, on my route I had to cross, were just minor ones.

Down to a lot of reasons, really. More pedestrian-friendly cars, better public awareness of the hazards, less drink-driving, better maintained cars with better brakes and tyres, better medical techniques and equipment... And, of course, the fact that fewer children are walking to school.

Here are the figures since 1975. Scroll down for child pedestrian figures, but despite the increase in traffic, they've fallen pretty steadily.

Possibly, but the ones that didn't become road casualty statistics were a lot fitter & leaner :rolleyes:

Leaner, yes. Fitter, maybe. Healthier? Notsomuch. Our 1960s diet was largely saturated fats (animal fats at that). Those that didn't get run over, grew up to make us a strong contender for the heart disease capital of Western Europe!

Sponsored Links
Back