01 SEAT Cordoba 1.4 petrol

Sponsored Links
A length of wire (jump lead if you have one) connect one end to a clean steel part of the car body, go right back to the negative terminal of the battery if you have to, in order to get a good connection. The other end to the steel work of the tailgate. A painted part may not give a good connection. As the reversing lights are mounted in the tailgate (i think) it may well be the problem.

But do one test at a time stopping at the step that finds the fault.
1. New temporary earth to the tailgate, for testing only
2. Wire from working reversing light to the dud one?
3. With this still connected, connect new earth to the earth (body) of the dud bulb.
4. Steady and plenty of patience, think of the money you are saving !

Note: if you tip live (center tip on reversing bulb) and earth, the fuse will blow = nothing works until replaced

I'll make sure to try that Mursal. Thanks. Luckily I have 6 more weeks to NCT so once I get to it during that time.... :)

Electrically, this car feels like Herbie(goes bananas) :) Finally got the brake lights working perfectly, for 2 days, and now I am back to the heated rear window not working and when I engage the brake pedal the HRW switch lights up i front of me! Brake lights still seem to be working though, so that is still, technically, an improvement. Basically, I replaced all rear bulbs and the brake lights worked from there. But this HRW thing is a problem now. As far as I am aware, the switches for Brake lights and HRW are both fitted above the brake pedal. I am thinking of unplugging both, spraying any terminals with carb cleaner and re-fitting. Failing that, it could be an earth on the back of the car, but I doubt that. The car had this problem when I took it home. Once I replaced the rear light bulbs the problem ceased. Now it's back again!
To make matters worse, the cigarette lighter isn't working. I don't need it to smoke, but because the CD changer is no longer in the car, I was hoping to hook my MP3 player up to the ciggie lighter, and I found that it doesn't work. I removed the lighter unit and all wires seem fine and plugs too, so I have no idea where to look to fix that one now. I tried the tape adapter idea to my MP3 player but that doesn't work either. Just gives a big humming noise! :(
I am still down 1 reverse light but haven't had an opportunity to test with a multimeter yet. I have inspected the wiring and plugs in the boot and they all look in really good condition. I'd rather not have to splice open the wiring. Could I just send a new wire across from one reverse light joint to the other and seal it with insulation tape or something?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, but its just a bad connection, either in the reversing light that's not working or the other light. You will find that one light cluster gets power first from the front of the car and then the loom tuns across to the other side? But I realize that easy for me to say.

I'd forget about the cigarette lighter until you get the rest sorted, but connect a good headlight bulb (if you have one spare) to see if it will work from the cigarette lighter wires? Fuse missing?

Wiring can be difficult to sort, even after many years trying.

Hi Mursal. Thanks for the advice as usual. :) Got the brake pedal and heated rear window thing sorted. Just in case anyone else comes across this problem, here is what worked for me. Turn the HRW switch off. Remove the plastic door from under the steering wheel. take out the plug from the HRW switch, which is located above the brake light switch above the brake pedal, then push the plug back in place. Next time you start the car it should all be working.

I suppose the cigarette lighter must be a fuse. I'll have to find out where this fuse is located and change it out and see what happens. Reverse light is the last thing(electrically) after that.

My LCD display doesn't show the digits correctly. The Air con and radio etc all work, but the display isn't very readable. Not sure if this is a simple battery fix, or if the LCD display unit needs replacing.

Found the cigarette lighter fuse. Swapped it out and that works now too. It won't play my iPOD but that could be down to me not knowing how to set that up via the stereo. Lug nut has also bee fitted. Hopefully, today or tomorrow, I'll run a cable from the working reverse light bulb terminal to the other one, and that should hopefully fix that. I'll tidy it into the boot door with the others and seal any visible wires from it. I presume its to from positive to positive terminal?
Then it's to the breakers to get the passenger side wiper arm sorted. This is probably a replace the compete unit job isn't it? :( Anyway, slowly but surely, getting there.

Yes positive to positive, but just run a rough wire over first to make sure it lights up? Keep in mind it may well be the actual bulb holder or a bad earth to that bulb
Yes, full wiper arm (or is it just a replacement wiper blade/holder you need) I'd say from here, just cant see that well :). Flip up the cover at the bottom of the arm to reveal a nut 10mm or 13mm spanner. Just be careful with the taper on the shaft coming out, the splines are easily damaged. So re-tighten after fitting to ensure a snug fit. Some of the VW's might have the same one if you have a good breaker. If its just the blade/holder the motor factor might help you fit it (clips on).
Lug nut, can't think what that is?
Great you're nearly there, fingers crossed .............. are you religious?

PS iPOD isn't on the NCT, yet ..... :)

Love the iPOD/NCT comment!!!! :mrgreen:

Got the music sorted too. I bought an MP3 player which attaches via the cigarette lighter and then tunes into a frequency on the stereo. So that's sorted now too! I'll hopefully check the light tomorrow. I did check the bulb holder already, by switching sides and it worked ok on passenger side. It seems that it must be a wire. Hopefully running a positive to positive wire will be the fix!

The lug nut stud is one of the 4 studs which the wheels sit on before screwing them on with the lug nuts.
http://europartshouse.com/images/Wheel-stud-nut-240-640x.jpg

Easy fix. Made sure to ask the guy in Atlas autos if it was safe to drive! He said 3 studs would hold the wheel on but get it done before the test. Done now anyway. :)

Then the wiper linkage. The irony here is that this was also gone on my previous car. I haven't checked to see if it's a simple fix without removing the arm, and if it is, then great, but I reckon it might be the link which is closer to the motor and would require removing the mechanism. If it is, I'll get it sorted at the breakers. It's only passenger side thats gone.
Car is out of test on 21st of this month I think, and I haven't booked the test yet, so I should end up with a little ore time, as I'd say I won't get a date booked until February. :)

I was having a look at the wiper arm today. I managed to remove the wiper and take a closer look at the bolt which normally moves the wipers. The faulty wiper was quite floppy and easy to move where as the good side was stiff. After removing the wiper from the bolt, I checked the bolt. I was able to move it around(to mimic it's action) with my hand. But it doesn't move by itself once the wipers are switched on in the car.

I found this video on youtube, but I do not think this will solve my problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5mh-OrFdnc

Might have to just let the breakers do it.

Driving around fine for a few days with my cigarette lighter MP3 player, and then, today, the brake lights/window heater issue returns. At the moment, the rear window heater won't work unless I engage the brake pedal. The brake lights appear to be working ok with the exception of the window mounted one which seems to have lost much of it's intensity. I'm starting to believe the electrics are haunted!!!!! Haven't run the cable across for the reverse lights yet so nothing has happened to cause this. It's melting my head.

Sounds like the bad earth connection has returned on the middle brake light. If it shares the earth with the heater in the window, that's your trouble. A flying (temporary) lead from the negative terminal of the battery to the brake light earth, to see if it goes to full brightness.

Thanks Mursal. The research I am doing has lead me to the same thing as you are saying. When the brake lights aren't grounded properly, they get what they need from the heated window switch which is next to it above the brake pedal.
I am starting to thing that the ground/earth wires must not be connected right, and it could easily be the same story when it comes to the dodgy reverse light.
I guess these earth/ground wires are supposed to be connected to parts of the boot or the boot door? Any advice on where to look and what the wires or colours might look like? And what to do with them?

Yes correct in what you say.

For s first fix to see where you are going, take a wire directly from the negative terminal of the battery to the brown wire on the middle stop light. If you want to try just earthing the boot find a clean bit of steel (usually under the hinge bolt) and connect to that. See what happens?

Yes correct in what you say.

For s first fix to see where you are going, take a wire directly from the negative terminal of the battery to the brown wire on the middle stop light. If you want to try just earthing the boot find a clean bit of steel (usually under the hinge bolt) and connect to that. See what happens?

Pardon my ignorance here Mursal :oops: But to earth the boot, do I run the wire from the negative battery terminal to the boot hinge, or from the middle stop light brown wire?

Every time I think I have a change of a bit of daylight to try messing around with wires and earthing, it rains, or something else comes up. :(

I have a sneaking suspicion that earthing inside the boot may solve both the problems. Window heater/brake lights ad second reverse light. I can't wait to get at it!

Sponsored Links
Back