A Red Dawn

I'm maybe missing the point, but I've never quite understood why the entire country has to have their parliamentary elections on one single date - why couldn't each constituency, have it's own separate election dates, producing a much more gradual change of government?

You'd never be guaranteed an actual government?

Meaning, you could conceivably go to eternity without ever reaching a concensus on anything, and therefore don't do anything about anything?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Well, the French began their election last week and won't have a result until today, i think, so why should we rush to appoint a government? It's been clear to everyone that Labour would form the new administration for months now and all this election has done is illustrate how many people were fed up with Tory incompetence over the last ten years...and counting.
I glanced at stats for the age of Tory voters and the majority are over 65. Labour are mostly in the 20-50 bracket, but a telling number are switching to Reform and the Green parties at both ends of that age range, people who're dissatisfied with the choice of maintaining the status quo, where the gap between rich and poor will keep growing so long as things stay the same. They're not fooled by the slogans and have become more militant in demanding real change for their future. I wouldn't say an alliance is likely but an agreement on campaigning for a form of PR would suit both Reform and the Greens, so if they can make a persistent case perhaps the LibDems could dust off their old inquiry into electoral reform and form a coalition to reinforce the question in the HoC.
It took the Belgians about two years to form a government, didn't it, and the country ticked over just the same. The UK civil service would do likewise, i'm sure.

I glanced at stats for the age of Tory voters and the majority are over 65. Labour are mostly in the 20-50 bracket, but a telling number are switching to Reform and the Green parties at both ends of that age range, people who're dissatisfied with the choice of maintaining the status quo, where the gap between rich and poor will keep growing so long as things stay the same.

We both made our minds up to (postal) vote Reform, quite early on.

They're not fooled by the slogans and have become more militant in demanding real change for their future. I wouldn't say an alliance is likely but an agreement on campaigning for a form of PR would suit both Reform and the Greens, so if they can make a persistent case perhaps the LibDems could dust off their old inquiry into electoral reform and form a coalition to reinforce the question in the HoC.

I've been a Tory voter for years, convinced by their promises, but felt let down by both main contenders, and so we mutually decided on a 'protest vote'.

.... Labour are mostly in the 20-50 bracket, but a telling number are switching to Reform ....

Looking at the numbers, "telling" means "tiny"

Farage supporters are overwhelmingly Brexers (who are predominantly older people) and mostly come from the Tory background.

Sponsored Links
We both made our minds up to (postal) vote Reform, quite early on.

I've been a Tory voter for years, convinced by their promises, but felt let down by both main contenders, and so we mutually decided on a 'protest vote'.
I wonder what reform offered that the tories didn't, if you felt let down by them.

Looking at the numbers, "telling" means "tiny"

Farage supporters are overwhelmingly Brexers (who are predominantly older people) and mostly come from the Tory background.
True, but the number tolled for the Tories a death knell in the north and a new generation will have to grow before they can resume their perfidious mandate to fully privatise the UK. Most of them went because they didn't "stop the boats", and until that issue is resolved will continue to support Reform, so it's in everyone's interest for Labour to solve the problem. Most of those are semi/unskilled-workers, while the professional and administrative class voted Green. It's a shift in demographic that's been coming since the bre*it referendum and if Labour can manage to sort out a deal with the EU to manage the boat gangs it would swipe the carpet from under Reform leaving them without a platform on which to stand - so, why would they not take up the torch to campaign for PR? It's in their interest, it's in the Green's interest, and it may just interest the LibDem's too.

so, why would they not take up the torch to campaign for PR? It's in their interest, it's in the Green's interest, and it may just interest the LibDem's too.

However, the country is ruled by the government of the party that has won power.

A party that has just won power by the vagaries of FPTP is not likely to want to change the rules to make it harder for them to win such power again

I wonder what reform offered that the tories didn't, if you felt let down by them.

It offered the chance to take votes away from the Cons while giving them to a company (not a party) that had no chance of getting into power.

However, the country is ruled by the government of the party that has won power.

A party that has just won power by the vagaries of FPTP is not likely to want to change the rules to make it harder for them to win such power again
Well, that's what pressure groups do: build a consensus by discussing the merits of change. When the Tories took power in 2015 i don't remember a national debate on whether we should remain within the EU, yet were asked to vote in a referendum on a subject few people knew or cared about. A pressure group within the party forced the issue upon the PM. Proportional Representation is clearly a fairer system of governance and the question why should Scotland and Wales enjoy such a privilege while England does not.

"Fairer" on the basis of Parliamentary Representation. A good many folk decide not to vote because it doesn't actually change anything. Labour/Tory...rinse and repeat. All it's done is put the UK into a debt spiral it can't get away from.

4856.jpg

Zarah Sultana exposes government hypocrisy on Gaza at Jewish activists' peace protest. The Labour MP for Coventry South spoke at Na'amod's protest outside the Foreign Office demanding a ceasefire.

Martin Rowson calls it irony but the Hypocrisy of the West is a more accurate perspective on events in Gaza.

I do think Starrmer is a little more awake.
RulesBased.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back