amp meter wanted

I can see your point, but first onto the practical problem, where will you find a cheap centre zero volt meter?

I've not been following the whole thread - I made an assumption that a simple, cheap, digital multi-meter would satisfy that need.

A centre zero old-fashioned meter with a needle, would not be sensitive enough, without an amplifier.

Sponsored Links
A centre zero old-fashioned meter with a needle, would not be sensitive enough, without an amplifier.
I agree, to get any useful reading looking at digital. In reply #4 I showed a meter designed for the job, but cost too much it seems, I still think the easy way is use the AC to charge with a cheap Lidi or Aldi charger, this
1688981269624.png

gives you all you need to know about state of battery, and is as cheap as chips, around £14 but he has rejected this idea.

Good idea plenty of second hand junk on ebay, some a scam some not, but I think something like this would be OK
There is obviously some risk. However, I have to say that, over the years, I have bought thousands of things via eBay, including many 'second-hand junk' items (which one accepts may be imperfect) and iffy imports from the Far East and have had extremely few problems (with either the service or the items) - and, on the very few occasions on which there have been problems, eBay has resolved them very rapidly and efficiently.
But BTW I have a CCJ against ebay and as of such they have banned all credit, debit cards in my name and address. So ebay no good for me!
Fair enough, but I suppose it could be said that you have at least partially brought that upon yourself. You could presumably get someone else to buy things via eBay for you?

Kind Regards, John

gives you all you need to know about state of battery, and is as cheap as chips, around £14 but he has rejected this idea.
I allready have a 4amp meter and the one you put there will not charge up a flat battery of say 8 volts because even though it is set to 12volt mode it still can not even decided if its on 6volt mode and will not work!

Sponsored Links
Fair enough, but I suppose it could be said that you have at least partially brought that upon yourself. You could presumably get someone else to buy things via eBay for you?
To be honest; its not worth it! ebay have lost so many customers and sales over the last 10+ years though there own man made problems that it is likely it will fail soon

To be honest; its not worth it! ebay have lost so many customers and sales over the last 10+ years though there own man made problems that it is likely it will fail soon
I'm definitely not holding my breath. As I said, experiences obviously vary and, for what it's worth, my personal experiences of eBay have generally been very positive.

As a matter of interest, what do you regard as the worst of their 'man-made problems'?

Kind Regards, John

I allready have a 4amp meter and the one you put there will not charge up a flat battery of say 8 volts because even though it is set to 12volt mode it still can not even decided if its on 6volt mode and will not work!
The demarcation point is 7.3 volt (12 volt battery), and for 6 volt battery 3.7 volt. The Ctek will start charging at a lot lower voltage, but does not have a 6 volt option or the volt meter.

I'm definitely not holding my breath. As I said, experiences obviously vary and, for what it's worth, my personal experiences of eBay have generally been very positive.
Then I would surgest that you go and have a rad up of some of the posts on etsy and ebid forums. Many site like that have made massive gain from ebay
As a matter of interest, what do you regard as the worst of their 'man-made problems'?
To be honest I would say 90% of it is sellers problems did not get even looked at never mind resolved, since the spring of 2020 they have bee fleasing sellers on fees, removing items, banning account and no reason specified what so ever! One could even say it was ebays artificial intelligence that made the decision; but with out being an insider of all this one will never know and can only make an educated guess. I for one will never sell on a site like that again! ever! ever! ever!

The demarcation point is 7.3 volt (12 volt battery), and for 6 volt battery 3.7 volt. The Ctek will start charging at a lot lower voltage, but does not have a 6 volt option or the volt meter.
Nor dose it have a "charge from flat" option either, though you can get around it by tricking the charger that its 12v+

Then I would surgest that you go and have a rad up of some of the posts on etsy and ebid forums. Many site like that have made massive gain from ebay
I'm aware of what one sees on such sites, but one has to view it in the context of the countless millions of trouble-free eBay transactions every day.

In general, it's only 'bad news' that people bother to talk or write about - you won't find a site where millions of people every day describe their trouble-free experiences with eBay transactions, any more than we hear (or want top hear) every day on the 6 o'clock news about all the planes that haven't crashed, all the people who have not been murdered or raped etc. etc. !

Kind Regards, John

Nor dose it have a "charge from flat" option either, though you can get around it by tricking the charger that its 12v+
For a charger to do that, it can't detect if the terminals have been connected the correct way around. I know the old dynamo would work without a battery, and some special alternators like those used on Cat tractors, but most alternators will not charger with out a battery being connected to give excitation through the warning lamp. I have actually travelled around 150 miles round trip to renew the warning lamp bulb on a compressor as it would not charge. It was my first helicopter trip, so not likely to forget it.

In fact the 'shunt', need only be the resistance of the existing cabling.
and was the 'standard' way for some alternators for many years, it took me a long time to realise why the charging wire on battery also had additional wires at each end to alternator or regulator.

Kind Regards, John
As it happens too many b****y hours between Saturday and last night.

I had 2 similar items listed, one guy wanted to do it as 'buy it now' to get both. We agreed a price and combined post cost, he bid, I accepted both, invoiced one but attempting second I got:
1689085320944.png

and the item showed on my account as 'offer accepted' It was too late to speak to anyone until Sunday morning by which time it showed as 'offer expired' & 'item not available'. Advisor reckons I'd removed the listing and no way to reactivate the 'buy it now offer', I couldn't relist as it showed as sold/no longer available... confused yet? that takes it to 09:30 Sunday morning.

It then took to Sunday evening to get around the restrictions of recognised photos to list a new item... Oh yes that really happened, in the end I showed only the above screenshot. My buyer offered and I accepted so he had to make 2 similar payments, second rejected as duplicate payment, by then too late to speak to anyone... confused yet? By now buyer and I are talking on the phone rather than ebay messages.

Monday morning advisor suggested the only way to release the problem; cancel the sale and relist and insisted it would be no sales fees, cancelled sale and relisted as something totally different (and different prices for item and post, just to make it completely different), buyer offered, I accepted and invoiced, he paid.

Ah at last we've got there thinks Sunray and I'm sure the buyer thought the same, indeed the text messages indicated that.

Buying ebay postage; the service originally suggested and priced for and planned to use didn't cope with my parcel, my screenshot of the suggestion indicates otherwise, however suddenly a 20Kg large parcel costs less than half of suggestion,
however completely different name address and phone number to invoice - buyer confirmed delivery details (works address) is different to account.

I wrapped, I packed, Tuesday morning I delivered to drop-off point I'd used on Saturday; "We don't accept DPD." "You did on Saturday." (my receipt clearly shows the details and tracking indicates it has been delivered), "No, goodbye. Next please."

4 mile drive to next drop-off point and accepted without a hitch.

Italics indicating that which I believe to be 'man-made problems'.

All of that for 2 items at £10 each, even with the reduced post cost I doubt I'll get £18 clear, I reckon I've wasted best part of 10 hours on them - I wish I'd chucked them in the rubbish.

To balance this, the other items I've been selling recently have gone OK including our original microphone and stand from the 50's
1689096794362.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back