amp meter wanted

No, because i never agreed to the warranty in the first place; so no contract there!

So what are my "Statutory Rights" in this case?
"No, because i never agreed to the warranty in the first place; so no contract there!"
Pardon?

Example - you drive into a private car park, there are adequate signs visible about reasonable conditions of parking whether free or chargeable. Unless you were able to view them before you entered that car park then by parking there/paying the fee you are deemed to have accepted those conditions. If instead,having read them, you decide to drive out then you have not accepted them. If, once you get your ticket to park there are additional conditions stated then they are not valid because any contract depends on two things = offer and acceptance, once those are completed the contract is closed and neither party can unilaterally impose another condition. All conditions must be fair and legal too.

As for "No, because i never agreed to the warranty in the first place; so no contract there!" well in your case you bought the goods (offered money and the seller accepted) if you were aware of the warranty in the first place then you accepted it as part of the sale (to the extent that it does not detract from your legal rights) . Why someone might choose to not accept any warranty that adds to their their legal rights then I could not guess

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Anyone know of a shop that sells them please. went into "Yes Electrics" and did not even know what an amp was. (bit like Euro car Parts)
Not interested in scam from ebay and Amazon (BTW I have a CCJ against ebay!) Just want a real shop with real quality
I am sure they do exist as I saw them many moons ago as amp dials on the dash board of popular cars
You can get perfectly good meters from amazon.

Blup

I would tend to be more inclined to agree that Amazon in that respect appears better than some others in many respects based on my own limited experience as a customer

But I was not aware of this warrenty. Just like the time I hitch hicked a ride and at the end of it I was told that all be 100 quid sir. Just like I got on the train/ tram and then at the end of the ticket barrier I was asked to pay. Contract of nil void!
OK if you were not aware of the warranty the manufacturer or seller has agreed to offer it to you anyway, it is in addition to your normal rights and you can take advantage of it if you wish to but it is not compulsory to do so if it was not made a condition of the sale that you agreed to. It may not subtract from your normal rights so no problem. If you genuinely hitch hiked a ride then there was no contract and you are not liable to pay, fair enough, you may or may not elect to make a voluntary donation for fairness, in fact any suggestion of payment etc should have been made prior commencement. Sales of goods and services, including parking on private property etc are subject to the laws of contract. Parking on public highways and loads of other stuff are subject to laws and bye laws which we are all mandatory subject to, trams and railways etc are probably covered by that. We are all subject to the Official Secrets Act, you often hear people say "I signed the Official Secrets Act" No they did not but they might have signed a testament to say in effect, yes I am aware that some such is covered by the official secrets act, that will help inform you and remind you of your obligations and the possibility of a legal penalty.

You might pay for a parking ticket etc say thru a machine, additional conditions are often printed on the back of the receipt, they are not valid, all conditions were made before you bought the ticket and by paying for the ticket you accepted those conditions, that contract is now locked, another additional condition can not know be added on the receipt without your agreement and any such will not be valid. Lots of big organisations and councils etc do not seem to understand this , or perhaps they do but just try it on anyway. One such condition I often see either on tickets or on signage is "We will not be held responsible for .................." Balderlolloks, if they are liable then they are liable, often such terms include "for any reason whatsoever" too, that invalidates the whole contract, they are liable for the actions or omissions of themselves and their agents (including subcontractors), however some conditions do state "to the maximum extent allowed by law", that phrase might be valid in a very few instances but does not allow them to get out of their obligations. It might well deter the faint hearted though.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have seen some take a deposit then give a receipt saying "Deposit non refundable", that, in itself, does not make a deposit non refundable, there are laws governing deposits and part payments and conditions under which some deposits then become part payments rather than deposits

No contact? What entrapment?
seems to me of a not very complicated set of rules we should all abide by

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back