Another shower upgrade query

Although I agree with this, there are no strict rules on the definitions and as everything is referenced to something which in iself has no legal standing the whole thing is on a sticky wicket.
Indeed. As I think most of us are agreed, it seems very unsatisfactory that EICRs, particularly the coding, are so reliant on individual discretion/judgement.
A cable running at ~120% of its absolute loaded rating (many areas are still >240V) is an overheating risk and therefore potentially a hazard risk.
Strictly true. However, as I said, the tabulated CCCs ('absolute loaded ratings') we work with take into account the characteristics of MCBs - such that it is deemed that Method C 4mm² T+E will not come to any harm (or represent any hazard as a result of carrying about 41.8 A continuously, or about 53.6 A for an hour - so, even if one assumes a 240 V supply (which we are not expected/required to do for design purposes), it is extremely hard to believe that the cable would come to any harm (or represent any hazard) as a result of carrying about 43.75 A for the duration of a shower.

So, as I said, I would personally struggle to regard that situation as "potentially dangerous and requiring urgent remedial action" (i.e. C2), and would (again personally)) regard it as fairly ridiculous to code it as C1 - not the least because that would go against the 'spirit' of C1

Sponsored Links
At which of those ratings - 37A, 41.8A, 53.6A) does the cable actually reach 70ºC?

Is it that cables in domestic premises never reach the 70ºC unless something has gone extremely wrong?

At which of those ratings - 37A, 41.8A, 53.6A) does the cable actually reach 70ºC?
Who knows? If getting hotter than 70C would harm the cable, one would hope that the answer would be 53.6 A - and, in any event, as often discussed, I suspect that there are some generous 'safety margins' built into the figures we work with.
Is it that cables in domestic premises never reach the 70ºC unless something has gone extremely wrong?
Again, I don't know for sure, but I strongly suspect that what you suggest is probably the case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back