Anyone know what this weird box is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what this metal box is at the border of my cottage plot is?

image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
it looks somewhat electrical.

What does it say in that marking on the door?

Obviously the wire fence has been put on the wrong side. Is there a street lamp nearby?

No visible cables, I'm somewhat rural the chicken wire is loose at the front, the other side is farmers field.

Directly behind is my cottage and electric meter box is on the wall. So maybe some kind of join box?

My mains comes underground from the other side of that field from pole transformer.

It says Laby Oxford on the front it had some sort of lock and opening door on the front.

Sponsored Links
Battery box for Electric fencing ??
Do the three cables by the post go into the metal box, the sleeving on the cables seem to have cracked. ??

Sorry there are no cables from the box at all above ground that I can see. That's just some plants and twigs this was burried in hedge.

Most likely street lighting, or it could be for the electricity main in the road (not necessarily feeding your house).

Definately mains electrical though so be cautious about buried cables.

the description suggests there is no nearby road, so perhaps it was for a now-demolished agricultural building.

Some of these boxes can be opened with a triangular key like a meter box.

Thanks, no street lighting out this way nice and rural. Will see if it opens.

Wonder why it's inside my boundary

Last edited:
VP1main.jpg

Energiser box for Electric Fencing, (Probably Battery) to stop chickens wandering into the field.

I don't see any cables at all, the field has cows in. I can't see any supply cables any there round the box. Unless they are underground. Want to do some planting etc so not sure about digging here.

I don't see any cables at all, the field has cows in. I can't see any supply cables any there round the box. Unless they are underground. Want to do some planting etc so not sure about digging here.
May be disused now, may have been the last owner used electric fence to keep own animal away from farm land.

Found my tool for opening its like a meter cupboard triangle key.

Will open up tomorrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back