Anyone know what this weird box is?

I don't see any cables at all, the field has cows in. I can't see any supply cables any there round the box. Unless they are underground. Want to do some planting etc so not sure about digging here.
Electric fence kits are normally portable and are connected to a 12volt battery to give power, the energiser box should have an earth spike so its pushed into the ground and dosent fall over, postive and negative cables are attached to the battery and the fencing to give it power, when the fencing is touched one gets a mild tingling enough to stop animals and chickens from going near the fencing.

Sponsored Links
So I've opened the box. Looks like mains something. It has a breaker switched on inside. Looks like fuse each side.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
the description suggests there is no nearby road, so perhaps it was for a now-demolished agricultural building.

Some of these boxes can be opened with a triangular key like a meter box.
I still think that.

In the pics I can't see where the cables go are connected , but I will speculate there was once a supply that has now been removed, maybe a meter too. I wouldn't touch it until that is confirmed though. If you can lay your hands on a clamp meter you can see if there is any load. It appears to be 415v which is a much more fatal shock than domestic 230v.

Is there any suggestion that there might once have been a pole for an overhead supply? The clear acrylic cover is much more modern than the iron cabinet.

You could ask your electrical supplier (they will probably pass the request to the DNO) to comment.

Looking around the box there are no other cable entry or exit points. Just the black and purple cables in the bottom going to the black cover. I have a clamp meter so will check it out. No sign of anything else in the box. Looking at the switch, there is a fuse each side. No idea where the earth cables go either just into the ground.

If it was me I would be struggling with the temptation to turn it off and see what happened. That could be unsafe though because when you turned it back on there might be machinery starting up, or a person investigating with his hands inside a box downstream.

If it was me I would be struggling with the temptation to turn it off and see what happened. That could be unsafe though because when you turned it back on there might be machinery starting up, or a person investigating with his hands inside a box downstream.

Haha I did wonder. But will dig out clamp meter and test for power. Got a broken leg so takes 20 min to get to end of garden with crutches at the moment. I REALLY want to know what it does :)

Not been opening on some time by the look of it.

In Scotland purple cable is ( was ) used for street lighting. ( http://www.njug.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/V1-Positioning-Colour-Coding-Issue-8.pdf )

But that doesn't mean 100% this was used for street lighting.

A clamp meter round the cable will not indicate if current is flowing as the current in the Live will be equal and opposite to the current in the Neutral hence these two will cancel each other out and the clamp meter will show zero.

Contact your DNO directly from https://www.ssepd.co.uk/Whoismynetworkoperator/. Explain you are concerned it may still be live, which it might be.

Is there any sign of equipment having been bolted to the top of the pole ? Any identification labels, branding or engraving on the pole. ?

There is no pole, it's just a box. The thing that looks like a poll is a post that ends the chicken wire on the boundary fence.

No signs of any holes in the side of the box at all. I've got a volt stick I can use. Near the fuse holders to see.

I will also contact DNO.

There is no street lighting out here in the road. A BT phone pole is the closest thing about 30m away.

You should be able to request a map from your DNO showing all their cables in the vicinity of your property, I know United Utilities do it online.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back