Anyone know what this weird box is?

Nothing like that close, we have mains water and no pumping station I did check with Scottish Water.

No chance of fibre out here unfortunately.

There is nothing close to the box that would need power.

About 3m behind is the side of the cottage with my mains meter

Sponsored Links
I'd ask the local DNO for a map of their services, it looks like yours is Scottish and Southern Energy. They provide them as it is cheaper than someone digging up one of their cables!
(It may also be a legal requirement to provide these but I'm not 100% sure on that)

You say that, the Mrs keeps asking if anyone knows what's in this box

I could make a joke there in awfully bad taste, but I am a restrained gentleman of advancing years...

Could it be your supply???

All the very best with your forthcoming sproglet.

Looks like a 32a supply with live/neutral fusing with the main switch in the middle, is it not fed from your house?

Sponsored Links
I have been following this thread with interest - a few questions :
JohnD - what makes you say it looks like 415V? The three fuses/breaker or the rating on the fuse carriers?

How can it be "a more fatal shock"?
You mean a greater chance of a fatal shock me thinks.

OP - where does the smaller of the two pinky purple wires go? I can see the larger black and purple and earth, but can't see where the smaller one goes.

I don't see anything which suggests 3-phase either, just a D.P. switch in the middle with a BS88 fuse carrier either side. Live/neutral fusing seems unlikely given the newness of the Hager apparatus; even if it had started out as such at one time, the change to the newer equipment would likely have seen the neutral fusing abandoned. Single-phase 3-wire is a possibility, if the particular application didn't require the switch to isolate the neutral (although the switch rating would be exceeded), or maybe just two circuits?

Six months on...
How is Pandora?
More important, what's in the b*++*y box?

Oh, Yes, DNO came out, found it is live. BUT have no idea what it is for. They have no record of it, etc. The guy thought it may have been for a warning "sheep crossing" light about 300m down the road.

She is 6 months now. Doing great, thanks. Being a Dad is awesome. and craxy, at the same time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back