BMW and Audi Accidents

• Thread starter Deleted member 18243
  • Start date
Sponsored Links
If you could choose between the A4 and a Passat, same engine, same price, which one would you take?
neither if I was buying.I

not the same price though are they. Audi has a better image, and probably better trim. But comfort wise and driving wise, no different.

Sponsored Links
That they are the same cars, with different badges.
Not really no especially with the higher marques. There are subtle differences that are visible and many that are not. It's a nice thought though, for those that cant afford the pricier marques.

That they are the same cars, with different badges.

You are learning something too, but it's not "if". Its marketing
Ok, let me write it in a way that a 3 year old would understand.
I want to give you a car as present.
Which one would you prefer?
Audi A4 or VW Passat with same engine?
(They share the same platform BTW)

Not really no especially with the higher marques. There are subtle differences that are visible and many that are not. It's a nice thought though, for those that cant afford the pricier marques.
You do need to look underneath the surface. You might well surprise yourself.

Ok, let me write it in a way that a 3 year old would understand.
I want to give you a car as present.
Which one would you prefer?
Audi A4 or VW Passat with same engine?
(They share the same platform BTW)
You are getting it. Same engine, same suspension, same electronics, same brakes, different trim.

As a present I would have either. If I was buying I wouldn't have either. Simple enough ?

I have a mechanic to do that for me. He pi$$es himself when people come out with the same car different badge waffle. (y)
For a simple test, look on car parts sales sites, amaze you rself,

If your mechanic is experienced he won't be amazed.

Research and development, or lack of, was their killer.

They always assumed they were too big to fail and kept going. I understand the budget bit, but it was also a blanket refusal to update, until too late. The 3m's were not a bad offering, and the 200 and 400 were good. If they had caught up and modernised they might have been enough to change their fortunes.

But it was the lack of foresight and observation of competition that did for them. Self inflicted.
I'd say development by accountants - the early K series engines were very good but once the accountants forced a cheapening of components - such as head materials and gaskets.
BL did say at one time they were not going to do a gradual upgrade to the engines (a path through electronic ignition, control of Carb's etc) but once they had a total management system in place they would make a big jump. Still that's all in the past.

The Montego - a work mate had one, was hit by a drunk on the offside - car a write off, he was unhurt; always said it was the strength of the car that saved hime.He replaced it with another.
I had a Metro - did 150K+ miles in it, when I sold it the car sales bloke was gob smacked it was on the original engine (but then I serviced it regularly, oil every 3K miles, Oil and Filter every 6K, garage service every 12K).

Had a Rover 416 - superb car. But then the Rover 200/400 series cars were really Honda's - rebadged Civic's of the same era; the 1.6 lt engined ones had a Honda power train. I had a Rover 416 saloon Auto - a car I didn't really want but couldn't refuse, did 130K very comfortable and reliable miles in it, just could sell it when I bought an Accord as no one wanted a Rover no matter how much I tried to show it was a rebadged Honda. I believe the Honda civic versions of the 200/400's were actually made on the same line as the Rovers in the UK. Likely that Honda manufacturing in the UK only came about 'cause BEA sold out to the Quandt family and Honda didn't want their technology falling into the hands of a competitor.

The k series was almost a very good engine. It was stopped from being really good by being rushed out with insufficient development. The problems were found by customers rather than in the test stages.

Looking back, it was a pity

The k series was almost a very good engine. It was stopped from being really good by being rushed out with insufficient development. The problems were found by customers rather than in the test stages.

VW - timing chain failures
Audi - snapped crankshafts
Landrover - timing chains and turbos.

I think generally customers are becoming the test stage.

Sponsored Links
Back