Brick BBQ with cupboards - DPM?

Yes, that was the plan, brick built for cupboards to support the granite (which is insanely heavy!) and then put doors on the front. I’ll probably not do the stainless doors, simply because it would look so out of character (old rustic house and garden), but make up doorframes and doors from hardwood, in the full knowledge that they’ll need repainting from time to time. In the cupboard will only ever be dry goods and crockery etc so any damp won’t actually matter too much, but just be an inconvenience I was trying to avoid.

As for the fridge, I’ve looked into this and accept that it is completely the wrong environment for a regular fridge. However it won’t be on 24/7, but only on the random days when we’re out there enjoying the sun (so pretty bloody rarely, then!). And the fridge I’m putting in is a secondhand one that cost £20 off Facebook Marketplace so if it just lasts one season and then has to be switched out for another similar one next year then so be it. Hopefully I’ll get 2 or 3 summers out of each one.
Well that all sounds great to me. But "dry goods" stored - if its food then expect mice.
I think the only way to stop dampness from condensation is to perhaps insulate the inside of the cupboard to stop the fast change of temperature that causes condensation / dew

Sponsored Links
You could use HPL (high pressure laminate) for the doors, get it cut to suit, it would be completely impervious to moisture, its the same stuff they use for toilet cubicle doors and external cladding amongst other things.

Or, look at using soffit tongue and groove UPVC boards, from the likes of Eurocell..

Sponsored Links
I've had a fridge outside under a canopy for 20 years.
Still going strong.
Actually, in order for outdoor storage (UK) to be successful, you would need the robustness of a fridge type construction or similar, i.e. impervious external (painted metal skin) materials coupled with insulated core and plastic interior.

Brick won't cut it.

Hmm I bet they'd look great.
I think they would considering he wants a "old rustic house and garden" need to frame them with something and will look like white painted country style doors.
How about looking on Facebook for cheap UPVC window frames a cupboard size to use as doors, then where the glass was - use the T+G. Buy the frames first and build your brick width to suit.
Or you could even use the opener section and would have a much better chance of finding a cupboard sort of size, then just fill in the outer profile with some 9mm soffit board and screw on a normal hinge

Last edited:
I think they would considering he wants a "old rustic house and garden" need to frame them with something and will look like white painted country style doors.
How about looking on Facebook for small UPVC window frames to use as doors, then where the glass was - use the T+G. Buy the frames first and build your brick width to suit.
OMG, he said rustic not sh.it.

OMG, he said rustic not sh.it.
Really - I see it looking like this
doors.JPG

I used to listen to next door's gutters clunking and banging every time the sun came out. I wouldn't have thought next to a BBQ was a good idea at all.

In fact putting a fridge anywhere near a BBQ also makes no sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back