Brick BBQ with cupboards - DPM?

If you don't use mortar under the worktop then in reality it will be supported on 3 or 4 points that happen to be slightly higher than the rest. The first time anyone drunkedly stands on it, it will crack.

Harry's idea with the rods is spot on.

Sponsored Links
A tip please...

When I get to the top of the brick supports for the granite worktop, should I put this directly onto the last course of bricks (that has been levelled) rather than using another layer of mortar? I'm just thinking the the sheer weight of the worktop (it will take three or four of us to lift it into place) will probably squeeze out most of the mortar and make it very difficult to do any levelling at that stage - don't really want to be taking it off and replacing it 3 or 4 times to try and get it level? Thinking of a direct placement onto level bricks and then some exterior grade silicone all the way round or something along those lines? It's so heavy I can't see it shifting anywhere...

Thoughts?
Bed it on mortar.

What about using another old fridge as your cupboard - it's insulated and air tight - you could put a nice rustic door in front of it, or even directly onto it if you could get a built in appliance. If you are leaving crockery and cutlery outside, would you want to use it direct from an outdoor cupboard that might have had bugs or mice wandering about (and worse) over it? Like when people have outside bars and hang the glasses upside down on them - no thanks I'll go and fetch a clean one from inside!

What about using another old fridge as your cupboard - it's insulated and air tight - you could put a nice rustic door in front of it, or even directly onto it if you could get a built in appliance. If you are leaving crockery and cutlery outside, would you want to use it direct from an outdoor cupboard that might have had bugs or mice wandering about (and worse) over it? Like when people have outside bars and hang the glasses upside down on them - no thanks I'll go and fetch a clean one from inside!
I've already had that thought. I'd just be conscious of the airtightness being a blessing and a curse.

Sponsored Links
Haha - sounds like I can’t win, dry or damp!
You can win, but your expectations of a (UK) outdoors cupboard, needs to be realistic. Often these things are dreamt up in magazines that have their origins on the Med. Same as white rendered walls - fine on Cyprus, not so much in Castle Bromwich.

We have rain and cold temp's for a large part of the year, which bu99ers up a lot of or outdoorsy ideas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back